Need idiot proof advice

stevetiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I know you've heard all this before but I'm another newbie needing idiot proof advice!
I want to buy a dvdr.All I want to do with it is to transfer digital video from my DCRTRV14 camcorder to dvd disc,and also to record off the tv.I also want to be able to play the discs on my pc dvd player and be able to take the discs to other peoples houses and play them on their dvd players.I'm so confused by all the different formats that you all talk about!What machine do I need?I've always liked Sony products and budget is £350ish.Thanks

Steve

If you need to share recordings then you will need to go to the DVD- / DVD+ route.

The RDR GX3 Sony does not do Ilink transfer as far as I know. It does DVD-R/-RW and +RW. The more expensive RDR GX7 has Ilink.

The Panasonic E60 is DVD RAM/DVD-R. You won't be able to share recordings unless they on DVD-R . It has Ilink.

The simplest way for your budget is the Philips DVDR70 or DVDR80. It records in DVD+ and can be used on other players. I am not sure which one has Ilink.

i have a rx7 whats an i link????

Firewire connection for digital camcorders.

The JVC DMR1 is a model to consider as well - has iLink and records to DVD-RW, DVD-R (for compatibility) as well as offering the benefits of DVD-RAM for daily, personnel use. Only around £315 as well.

Originally posted by Rasczak
The JVC DMR1 is a model to consider as well - has iLink and records to DVD-RW, DVD-R (for compatibility) as well as offering the benefits of DVD-RAM for daily, personnel use. Only around £315 as well.

I also have the JVC, and its very good. If you wish to record on to DVD-RW, you would need to select the 'Video' mode option as opposed to VR for compatibility. The JVC will also control an external set top box (particularly Sky and the old Philips ITV digital boxes if you have those).

Go for the same brand as your camcorder, the Panasonic recorders automatically detect their camcorder which is handy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom