• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Need ideas on how to install TV in alcove that is too small...

WildWayz

Established Member
Hi guys

I bought a new Samsung 40" TV for our new house (move in next week!) and measured up the alcove to make sure it fits OK. Well, I cocked that up...

The 1st photo is of the house prior to our purchase - with a 32" TV.
ZJTeLyE.png

The 2nd photo is of our house now - with a 40" TV.
YokaOpl.jpg

Problem we have is that if we have the TV in the cove, the right side of the screen is obstructed by the chimney breast.

We don't want to move the TV bay window area. We don't want it going past the stone base of the chimney (in front of the multi purpose stone).

The ideas so far are:

1. Create a new wooden shelf which comes forward more. Use some supporting brackets on the bottom and top of the shelf to the wall so it gives it some support. On the front right of the shelf, a telescopic pole to support that end. Only trouble is that when Julia hoovers, if she knocks the pole, the TV will fall on the floor. It WILL happen.

2. Use a TV stand like in the 3rd photo.
NWZumg0.png

3. Use a wall mount on the back wall which comes out and can swivel. Downside; would need to be installed by someone professional as it will fall off the wall if I did it...

4. Get a builder to remove part of the chimney breast.

5. Get a builder to remove the bottom stone shelf on the floor, then put a wooden TV unit in that hole.

Does anyone else have any sensible ideas to this situation, as it imo is unusable at the moment with the level of cut off.

Thanks guys!

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Personally I'd go with option 3 or 5, they seem the neatest solutions.
If you go with 5, is there any need to remove the stone? You could just build a wooden unit over it.

WildWayz

Established Member
Thanks - we've ummed and arrrr'd over it and went for a bracket. One of my buddies has put 4 of them up before, so is experienced (ie none have fallen off!).... fingers crossed...

Rottie

Established Member
I was about to suggest a cantilever bracket, but I see you have a solution, already. :smashin:
Would like to see some "after" pics. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom