Need HQ network media player suggestions.

dnsigma69

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Seagate GoFlex TV and I like it's file compatability, but I need something that can handle LARGE (I mean 20-40gb .mkv and .ts) 1080p files without stutter across my network. I have not yet been able to find a machine that can stream full 1080p flawlessly when the a/v bitrate gets over 20k kbps. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

:lease:

I have a Dune BD Prime 3.0. i have full 35-40gb mkv files, which have a dd5.1 640kbps track AND lossless FLAC (i use xbmc on another machine) with the english .sup (subtitles) all straight from the blurays and the dune works perfectly on them, both over SAMBA (windows shares) and NFS (which i no longer use, because samba is fast enough.

i even have a test file which peaks at 68 (or 78, i forget)MBitspersecond and that plays fine too.

If i was buying again, I'd go for the Dune Smart, because it takes up less space, but otherwise, i think it's great.

EDIT: if you're player is realtek based, get Hanewin NFS server, and set that up and you'll get 50Mbps files working fine, but the test file above (higher bitrate than Bluray goes still stuttered).

Also, if you have FLAC tracks, the realtek seems to work harder and is happier with dd/dts/aac5.1 soundtracks.

Last edited:
I have a Seagate GoFlex TV and I like it's file compatability, but I need something that can handle LARGE (I mean 20-40gb .mkv and .ts) 1080p files without stutter across my network. I have not yet been able to find a machine that can stream full 1080p flawlessly when the a/v bitrate gets over 20k kbps. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

:lease:

I'll assume you have a wired network, wireless will stutter.

Dune Prime 3s are now end of life. The Dune Max is now the same RRP

Dune Prime 3s are now end of life. The Dune Max is now the same RRP

Or as i suggested, one of the smart series.

The Smart B1 can be had for ÂŁ239 here - http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk...k_Media_Player_with_Blu-Ray_Player.12471.html

Which is a good price. If you dont want the bluray rom, then the H1 (ÂŁ179 at every store I've looked at) or the D1(ÂŁ199 at pretty much anywhere).

Other options I would suggest are the NeoTV550 (ÂŁ123 on scan this weekend) or the popcorn A210 (ÂŁ199 on the guy aboves store which seems to be the cheapest, but his Dunes are a bit pricey!).

Last edited:
Thank you for all your feedback, I am looking at the Smart series but am a little unsure where the differences lie between the B1, D1 and H1 besides the fact that the B1 has a BluRay player (which I don't need).

Any comments?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom