1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MacTechsUK, Oct 10, 2005.

1. MacTechsUK

MacTechsUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    As a hopeless newbie I am trying to find a reasonable set of speakers to match the new receiver I have ordered, a Pioneer VSX-AX2AV-S.
    I have three issues
    1) it is quite high powered at 7x170w and I don't want to nuke any shiny new speakers I buy.
    2) cash, or the lack of it. I have a budget of £500 at the most.
    3) Size and style - Wifey wants something small and nice to go with the PDP-436XDE plasma

Can you knowledgeable bunch suggest a solution please?

MacTechsUK

2. MacTechsUK

MacTechsUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't want to appear rude but what you are suggesting is a hopeless mismatch. You are intending to partner a fairly high powered mid priced amplifier with some comparatively cheap lifestyle speakers whereas the amp deserves far better.

I don't know much about speakers in that price range but would suggest that you have a look and see what Richer Sounds have to offer.

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    As Ian said above, there does seem to be mismatch in your thinking, though I know what it is to have budgets and appearance requirements thrust upon you! I would suggest the Mordaunt Short Premier plus system as detailed here because it looks good and will sound pretty good too once setup. They are only rated upto 80 watts though indicating the fact that they are not really in the same league as your amp. The system you point to is a huge compromise on quality for appearance, and don't be fooled by the power rating stated for the satellites.

5. Figment

Figment

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Mac why not check out the range of Cantons in the powerbuys from jake james, there will surely be something to suit your system. They all look good, are built very well, all buyers seem more than pleased and they are mostly going for abot 50% off of retail price. Also Jake gives a great service. Just my oppinion and suggestion costs nothing to check it out.

6. MacTechsUK

MacTechsUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Figment, yes I have been eyeing the CD201 kit with interest, it'll be a stretch though at £700+ with stands.

I have been reading the thread (its very long) but I haven't yet seen anyone who's bought the 201s. I'll keep reading though.

Mac

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    do they have to be satellites? if not get a pair of Monitor Audio Radius 270's to begin with......they go deep enough to make do for a while and are 120w rated which is more than suitable with the amp.....and they are usually missus friendly too as they are petite despite technically being floorstanders, they have nice looks too...then in the future u can upgrade by buying another pair for rear duties or a pair of dinky 45 cubes if she doesnt want them on the ground, get an RS90 for centre duties and a subwoofer....bingo!

dont get pulled in to the 'have to have 5.1 speakers now' thing, i didnt, took 2 years to get my whole setup together, but much happier with it than i would have been if i settled for less...

www.monitoraudio.co.uk click on the Radius series and u can check the specs etc...show the missus....then pop down to a store like Sevenoaks and ask for a demo, if u ask nicely you could probably take your amp in for the demo...

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    oops, sorry, u want the 180 for centre speaker duties, not the 90....

9. MacTechsUK

MacTechsUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks to all for your replys.
    The Cantons do look good value and MA's look nice but the 270's look a bit big. I also rather wanted to get the whole system to enjoy now and at £1300 it is far too expensive for me.

I have also been looking longingly at the Quad L-ite package but at £1k its a bit rich for my blood and would take some serious saving. Would they be worth it over say the 201 cantons

Someone recommended I look at a Canadian manufacturer called Axiom who OEM for a load of other makers. The have a UK representitive and sell direct in the UK.
    Looking at their website is quite interesting with lots of very similar looking reviews. I am sure they are all from the same (Canadian) publishing group of magazines. But hey, they look good (but big)

Anyone heard of them. And what do you think of the quads?

Mac