1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lasket, Oct 13, 2004.

1. lasket

lasket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just had word this morning that my parents tv has died and they have offered to buy my Tosh 32" off me.
    Anyway just bought a new house and parents thought it would be a nice idea to buy a flatscreen for my new living room.
    I probably only have a budget of £1300 - £1750 and have seen quite a few screens in currys at this money.
    At the minute I have all the home cinema stuff (mostly yamaha) and an xbox.
    The living room is 12' by 12'.
    1) What size of screen would you buy?
    2) LCD or Plasma?
    3) Any recommendations?

Any help would be appreciated

Lasket

2. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

For your size of room you should be looking at 42"!

I have just bought an LG plasma 42" for my 12ft x 14ft room and i must say that it is a fantastic plasma for the price, excellent pictures and all the connectivity you could ask for, you can't go wrong with this screen Model Rz-42px11, got mine for £1599. :smashin:

I have even placed my PC into the AV rack and use it for that, as well as HD output from my Modded Xbox.

Cheers!

3. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

For your size of room you should be looking at 42"!

I have just bought an LG plasma 42" for my 12ft x 14ft room and i must say that it is a fantastic plasma for the price, excellent pictures and all the connectivity you could ask for, you can't go wrong with this screen Model Rz-42px11, got mine for £1599. :smashin:

I have even placed my PC into the AV rack and use it for that, as well as HD output from my Modded Xbox.

Cheers!

4. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Whilst everyone on this forum has a different opinion most people on this forum have opted for the panasonic PW6 which would be at the top of your budget but you are getting a really classy screen which has dropped in price massively over the last three months. Have a read on this forum to find out more. There are very mixed feelings about the LG - some love it, some hate it - not really heard anything bad about the panasonic at this price (slightly biased as I own a panasonic). Don't forget the panasonic doesn't come with a tuner, speakers or any input boards so you must have a stereo to use for sound, freeview or sky, and need to buy a new scart board (or component, s video etc) every time you want to connect an additonal device. Never the less you wont be dissapointed.

5. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    At which point it will be quite a way out of his budget!!! BTW, you didn't mention the need for a mount of some kind either...

Although what you say is true. The Panasonic PW6 is a great plasma, and has the weight of experience behind it. Don't let that put you off looking at the LG though - most of the really negative comments about LG are directed at their older panels, and don't necessarily reflect what the current model (which is only a month or two old) is capable of.

6. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    grahamtriggs, I totally agree, whilst I would personally recommend buying the panasonic plasma, I wouldn't recommend anyone buys a plasma without first viewing a selection of them setup properly and then making their own decision (this forum should perhaps be used more for making a shortlist and setup tips). I have to admit I bought my PW7 blind as it was a new model and I wanted it ASAP however I had seen the PW6 and personally preferred it to all others I could afford. If only bought with one scart board (for the moment and upgrade later)and provided lasket is already using sky or freeview and has a stereo/av amp in the lounge it should come in close to the top of his budget.