Need help with yamaha rxv371 please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dannybutch, Jan 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Dannybutch

Dannybutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi all, bought this today with nsp40 speakers and was just wondering if anyone could help me to find out if its running in hd! I am a clmplete noob so please treat me that way! It just says pcm or straight,no mention of dts hd or anything! Thanks guys, Dan

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,371
    You need to input an HD audio source such as a Blu-ray and choose an HD audio option from the discs menu. HD audio isn't something you turn on and the media you are playing has to be encoded with it. You also need to ensure your Blu-ray's HDMI audio output setting is set to BITSTREAM in order for the HD formats type to be displayed on the amp. BITSTREAM sends the audio encode and PCM lets the player decode it before sending it as PCM. Also ensure to turn off any mix down settings on the player.

3. Dannybutch

Dannybutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for your reply,im playing it on a slimline ps3 and its jurassic park blu ray! Im really new to all this so havent really got a clue what im doing! I press the surround decode button and all it says is straight,i just dont know how to get it to say dts hd,i just wanna check that its running the best it can

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,371
    STRAIGHT allows the native format to play without additional signal processing. Leave the amp like this for now (until you've read the manual to determine what all the settings do) and press INFO on the remote until the display says "Audio Decoder". The display will now change and show you the audio format that is coming into your amp.

The PS3 slim is like any other BD player and you still have to configure it so that HDMI audio is bit streamed.

Set BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) to BITSTREAM on the PS3.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  5. drunkenjoiner

drunkenjoiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I have had several yamaha amps, if the source is set correct then when HD audio is put through it, the amp will default to "straight" no matter what the amp was on before. Sci Fi for instance will be over ridden to straight when HD audio is sent to it. Surprised the amp has not got very small light indicating the audio.
    My current amp shows straight when watching blu ray, but there is also a small indicator, dts hd, true hd etc....

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,371
    Mine doesn't. Straight has to be engaged with DTS-HD, if not done then DTS Master Audio reverts to DTS core audio because my RXV2065 cannot process DTS MA and perform DSP simultaneously. There's also no light to indicate the presence of HD audio formats.

7. drunkenjoiner

drunkenjoiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Mmmmmm mine slightly older DSP-AX763 and that's how mine processes hd audio if the source is set to bitstream.(dmp-bd110).
    Also the amp has small lights for most different audio formats inc dolby digital etc.
    Maybe time to look at the 371 manual.

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,371
    The days of HD lights coming on are well and truly over. The HD formats are run of the mill these days and no such lights are included on amps anymore :) Amps now display the format on their display or on your TV screen when OSD is invoked.

I've a higher end and newer Yamaha amp and my Yamaha amp is more similar to how Yamaha amps now function. If looking in the manual for little HD lights, save yourself the bother and trust me on this one ;)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  9. Dannybutch

Dannybutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Its now saying dts master audio on the panel! Cheers guys,all i did was change the ps3 setting to bitstream as suggested and it now shows as that instead of pcm! Thanks again for your helpful info

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,371
    Remember to do as I suggested and have a look through the manual while trying out the different movie and DSP modes ;)

11. shil

shil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    This is a strange one, I recently bought a RXV371 and have it connected to a HTPC via HDMI, it plays Bluray fine and on screen Power DVD information setting says Compressed DTS-MA.

However to get the AMP to decode the DTS-MA I have to press the straight button until it its on 'straight enhancer' CinemaDSP then lights up and the panel shows DTS-MA audio. Is the amp now decoding the HD audio?

If I press straight only once the Amp display then shows DTS which I assume is core DTS. I've not really played about with the Power DVD audio out settings but im pretty sure its bitstreaming the audio. :)

12. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,371

You may be confusing the actual modes your amp is in? Some amps have issue with applying DSP to DTS-HD Master Audio and the source component then only outputs the DTS core audio to the amp until you disengage any DSP processing. This is because the onboard CPU hasn't the power to both process DTS-HD MA and DSP simultaneously. The Yamaha's STRAIGHT mode would disengage any DSP and allow the "Straight" DTS-HD MA stream to be processed.

In straight decode mode, sounds are reproduced without sound field effect. 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers. Multi-channel input sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels and multi-channel sounds are reproduced without a sound field effect.

• When you play back audio signals with sampling frequency of higher than 96 kHz, the straight decode mode is automatically selected.
    • When you play back Dolby TrueHD sources with CINEMA DSP, another program may be automatically selected in specific cases.
    • When you play back DTS-HD sources with CINEMA DSP, the DTS decoder is automatically selected.

So if you try to use a CINEMA DSP mode with DTS-HD Master Audio, the DTS decoder is automatically selected and you only get DTS, not DTS-HD Master Audio. Turn off CINEMA DSP and you'll get DTS-HD Master Audio.

The Straight Enhancer is not the STRAIGHT mode you think it is. The two things are totally separate. Straight Enhancer is a program/mode to enhance 2-channel or multi-channel compression artifacts. In other words, a DSP mode.

To enable straight decode mode, press STRAIGHT on your remote. “Straight” appears on the front panel display. To cancel straight decode mode, press STRAIGHT again. The title of any sound field program that was being used prior to STRAIGHT being engaged will appear on the front panel display, and sound is reproduced with that sound field effect.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  13. shil

shil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Cheers mate,

I'll have another play around tonight it was a weekend tinkering that got me thinking about this then reading this post this morn I thought I best ask as im not sure what the amps doing. The sound difference is definitely apparent at the same volume when switching so its doing something possibly like you say its engaging the DTS and DSP so its the DSP im getting not the DTS-HD.

I do know Power DVD has some settings which I might not have set right so i'll have another go later.

Cheers :)

Shil

Attached Files:

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,371
    You'd be getting core DTS with DSP and not DTS-HD Master Audio if DSP modes are being used when streaming the DTS-HD Master Audio. The display will say DTS and not DTS-HD Master Audio. If the Display shows what you've posted then you are getting DTS-HD Master Audio ;)

15. shil

shil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Excellent! Yeah thats my amp with that display. Thats good stuff then, thanks for the advice Dante! :smashin:

16. mitch1

mitch1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    guys - i'm looking at getting this amp for my HTPC. Can one of you confirm whether it passes through audio / video when in standby?

i.e.when connected like this.. HTPC-->AMP-->TV with HDMI the TV still gets sound and video from the HTPC, when the amp is not on.?

also have you experienced any issues with handshaking etc?

Thanks for any guidance

17. neoELITE

neoELITE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    This amp does not provide hdmi passthrough.
    RX-V371 - RX - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  18. gavask

gavask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    This amp does not pass through signals when in stand by.

If some one has done it please let me know how. It didn't work when I had mine set up. This is the only reason I have gone back to my repaired onkyo 606.

19. mitch1

mitch1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks gavask - other reports I have read indicate the same..

I have opted for a denon 1612 in the end which does support standby passthrough.

20. muttley600

muttley600
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The amp doe NOT provide hdmi pass through. In fact for me in one instance it doesn't transfer hdmi at all I'm sad to say.

21. podgey3874

podgey3874

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi guys little help with the ARC function on the RX-V371 please i cant seem to get sound but my Samsung UE46D6510WK is recognizing my receiver and i can control my receiver via my tv remote
    i have checked the hdmi settings on the receiver and ARC is turned on on all av settings what could it be please explain as this is my first set up thanks