need help with xbox live and netgear DG834G router :(

aisforme

Standard Member
third time ive typed this .. hey!
:thumbsup:

well, i have a wireless netgear dg834g router, which i have set up a network on fine, it works with all my family's laptops, and desktops. it has a wpa-psk security thing.

however, recently, when i bought a wireless adapter for my xbox, i discovered it would detect the router and the network, but not set any of the IP adress settings etc. automatically.

after connecting an ethernet cable to the xbox, it worked fine. i even managed to download a system update. i copied the IP adress etc. down, disconnected the ethernet cable, and typed them in to the xbox.

:thumbsdow

after trying to connect again using the wireless adapter, with much hope, it failed.

i have no idea whats going wrong.. i read up that there were a lot of problems with this router and xbl. however, i could have typed something wrong in the boxes, or something.. i also tried editing the router settings, as some people wrote, to no success.

i definitely know that the xbox is detecting the wireless adapter.

if someone could give me any directions in a non jargon-y, step by step sort of way, it would be greatly appreciated. you could also give me some more ways to edit the router settings, im having someone come and help in a few days.

Last edited:

Moogle

Novice Member
Shouldn't be posting your connection details especially your IP address on a public forum if I were you. You should probably delete them ASAP.

DR Kronenbourg

would be nice if someone can help this fella as i am having the same issue, i have the DG834Gv5, the console picks up the router and also asks for my WEP key but it still will not connect, i have tried manually entering the settings but nope no cigar, i had the DG834GT previously before she died on me and i had no problems. Question do you need to connect to the router via RJ45 first before it will recognise a wireless connection properly?

aisforme

Standard Member
no, it could always recognise the wireless connection and network since i got the adapter..

im gonna try connecting a wireless extender with windows vista compatibility, as these are meant to be live compatible..

ill tap back once ive done it if it works or not :thumbsup:

DR Kronenbourg

i read on another forum i found on google and there are loads of guys having this problem with the v5 the thread was 4 pages long, some have already talked with netgear and all are still waiting for a solution, i am wired just now and it works fine but not ideal since i have to run a cable the full length of my lounge.

aisforme

Standard Member
trouble is, if i wire it, it would have to run through the whole length of the house........

if nothing works, im just gonna get a new router, i can manage without live till then.

Change the Wireless Channel to 6 or 9

Should work

Otherwise, Change the Security to WEP due to xbox wireless being rubbish.

You would have been better off with homeplugs

muttonjeff

Novice Member
Yes, I recommend a pair of Homeplugs - I bought a new pair of 85Mbps from an ebay shop for just under £40 including P&P... I wired my house with Cat5, but the sockets are never in the right place...and I've used Homeplugs now, they're really SO easy and much less latency than using the WiFi...

muttonjeff

Novice Member
Homeplugs (effectively) make your home's electricity wiring into an Ethernet cable.
If you buy yourself a pair of Homeplug adapters, you need to plug one to the wall close to your broadband modem/router, then connect an Ethernet cable between your router and the Homeplug. Plug the other Homeplug adapter in to the wall close to your xbox and connect the other Homeplug to the xbox's Ethernet port. Hey presto, you have connected the xbox to your broadband...not wireless, but no new wires...
There is other stuff on Homeplugs around on the site - a good FAQ, etc., but really they are incredibly simple. I've used them for years - and I don't know an easier way to network things around the house (if you don't have Ethernet cabling already installed) - they really are "plug and play"..!
There are different speed grades - but you will find that the lower cost 85Mbps will be fine for most applications (and fine for xbox live or using the media extender capability of your xbox).
Good luck :)

muttonjeff

Novice Member
Firstly, in my experience, the 85Mbps products are good enough for most applications (and a fair bit lower cost than Homeplug AV 200Mbps). These products are HOMEPLUG compliant and use the Intellon INT5500 chipset. You could go for 200Mbps, but in practice you don't need that for xbox live or for using your xbox's media extender capabilities.

Excuse me - now I'm going to cut and paste another posting I made recently...!

"Which Homeplug device manufacturer? Yes, you pay your money and you make your choice...but don't be deceived by a "brand" name. The difference between £40 and £80 Homeplug products (of the same speed rating) is not the same as the difference between a £500 and a £1000 TV..!

I have lifted the lid of a lot of Homeplug products - and the differences in components as not as substantial as you might think! Yes, there are some differences, but performance differences are likely to be marginal - and you may find that the "brand" is not the best in performance or reliability. Netgear had to recall >80k units last year - and Belkin recalled from every country in Europe earlier this year. These companies use Asian ODMs, they don't make their own designs...and though they may change housings, they may not take care with the component selection.

If you want the best quality products, probably you have to choose Devolo (German and the premium retail brand) or LEA (a French company that you don't see in the UK at the moment) who are the biggest suppliers worldwide, with in house design and the most experience.

But there is a big difference in cost between their products and "no name" - though I agree with bogie that you should probably expect them to be more reliable, I should add that I have used some "no name" products for (literally) years without problems - and I'm very happy with my pair of 85Mbps, sub £40, eBay specials..." :smashin:

If you search "Homeplug" on eBay, you'll find quite a few traders. Hope that helps! ;)

aisforme

Standard Member
thanks so much, that has been tonnes of help. im looking up some to buy now, ill post once ive set it all up.

thankyou :D

aisforme

Standard Member
just to clarify before i go ahead and buy these.. will they work on different circuits of the house? and all you need is two ethernet cables along with them? and no setup.

if this is all good, ill go ahead and get them now.

muttonjeff

Novice Member
Yes - there is enough coupling through the consumer unit (or fusebox as we used to call it) for the Homeplug adapters to work between different circuits in the home.

Typically, when you buy a pair of Homeplug adapters, you will get a pair of ethernet cables with them (I don't think I've ever seen Homeplug units for sale without ethernet cables included), but I guess it could be sensible to double check.

When you get the Homeplug adapters, you just connect the ethernet cables to them and to your Xbox and broadband modem router, plug them in - and you're away! They really are "plug and play", no set-up required.

You ARE able to set up separate secure networks in the home, by connecting your PC to the Homeplug adapter if it is Intellon chipset based using a special utility software called "PowerPacket" - typically you'll be offered this as a download or on disc with the Homeplug units. The 85Mbps Homeplug adapters use the Intellon INT5500 chipset - and this offers 56 bit DES encryption for security. But there is no NEED to do this, hence my "no set-up" reply :smashin:

Happy times on xbox live! :thumbsup:

aisforme

Standard Member
im buying it now. thanks so much, youve been looooads of help, considering i got no other suggestions :)

ill tap back once ive got them and sorted it all out.

aisforme

Standard Member
SUCCESS!

thanks so much, all i needed to do was literally plug them in :D

i'd reccomend a pair of homeplugs to anyone who is having trouble with this router.. thanks again

:clap::clap::clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio adds new standmounts to F1 speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mark Levinson expands 5000 Series with amplifiers and players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton