1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with X-box live, please.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by DaddyDee, Sep 19, 2005.

1. DaddyDee

DaddyDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi Guys,

I have been trying to get my head round all this x-box live stuff and now I'm getting really confused. So I've come to you lot for a bit of help, please.

What I have is the following:

1 x PC with a BT broadband internet connection (2meg).
    1 x USB BT Voyager 100 Modem
    1 x X-box

My PC is in my study and the X-box is in the lounge. What do I need to set up a wireless connection, so I can use the PC and also use the X-box on line at the same time ? What would you recomend I get, there seems to be so much gear out there but I have no idea which is good and which isn't. Is it easy to set up for a guy who is not to techy with these things ?

Any help you could give me would be really welcome.

Cheers
    :lease:

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    You can share the internet connection from you PC, basically and ethernet cable to your xbox but that means you have to have your pc on all the time.

The best way to do it is to get a router, with a built in modem. This will plug in to your phone line and will share the internet connection for up to 255 computers, but they usually have 4 connections on them. Netgear is one of the recommended names, as they have quite a few features and a built in proper firewall.
    I have get a Netgear DG834, you can get a wireless version, or you can add a wireless access point later (which I did).

So if you can get a cable there fairly easy then just plug an ethernet cable in the back of your xbox to a router and away you go, most are easy to set up, the netgear ones take you through a wizard, you just need you user name/password etc.

www.Netgear.co.uk

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Personally, I went Linksys (WRT54G and WGA54G) as they're both Live certified, and they work fine on my NTL connection, but thats just a router not a modem (NTL supply decent enough ethernet modems already).

The Netgear DG834 Mal mentions is a modem and router in one, so you can ditch your existing USB modem - they can be a pain and are not made for gaming really. You will need a bridge also to attach to the Xbox, so you could use something like this Netgear wireless gaming adapter. Good luck!

4. DaddyDee

DaddyDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Thanks a lot guys ! :thumbsup:

Just another question. If I got a new Modem/Router combo, do I need to get the matching adapters that fix to the back of the PC and X-box ?

5. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    You only need a bridge if you are going wireless.

If you want to go wireless you can get a PCI adapter for your PC if it isn't near your router, they don't have to be the same make.

Which route are you thinking off, wireless or wired?

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    I think he mentioned in his original post he was thinking of going wireless...

And Nosyd, I don't get what you mean by matching adapters - all you need is the ethernet cables to attach to your PC and then another one to attach to your Xbox from your wireless bridge. These usually come supplied with the hardware.

7. DaddyDee

DaddyDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Sorry guys if I'm not being clear.

Yes, I want a wirless conection. If I buy the wirless modem/router hardware, do I need to buy something else that conects into the back of the Xbox or will the modem/router come supplied with them. (I think they are called network adapters ??)

8. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    You need a ntework bridge for the back of your x-box. See HERE
    Wireless router with built in modem - to share your internet connections - see HERE

And either connect your pc to the router via an ethernet cable (supplied with the router) or if it isn't near your router then you will have to get a wireless PCI card for your PC. Either THIS or a USB one.

The wiress stuff doesn't have to be the same make at the router, they will all connect to each other.

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    I think I should clarify here to make sure we're not getting our wires crossed (no pun intended!).

I assume your modem is currently in your study next to your PC, and this is where you'd like your wireless modem/router to be. If this is the case, you will get an ethernet cable with the wireless modem/router that will attach to your PC. You need to make sure your PC has a network card installed if you don't already have one (not to be confused with a phone line in for a modem - they are different things). This will get your PC connected to the internet, as you have now.

For your Xbox in your lounge, you will need to buy a wireless bridge (otherwise known as wireless game adapter) like the one I suggested in my earlier post. I would recommend sticking to the same brand as your wireless modem/router to avoid potential compatability problems. The wireless game adapter will also come with an ethernet cable to attach between your Xbox and the wireless game adapter.

So in summary, you need to buy 1x wireless modem router and 1x wireless game adapter. And possibly 1x network card for your PC if you don't already have one. All cables will come supplied (at least they always have for me!).

10. DaddyDee

DaddyDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Thanks for all the help guys. :)

I'm understanding it all now and now know what I need. Just one other question. My PC doesn't have a network card. So I need 1 of these. Is the card to enable my PC to access the web at the same time as playing on x-box live ? I'm not to sure what the Network card is for.

11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    The network card is to connect the PC to a network or your router via the ethernet cable, if you are going wireless you just need a wireless PCI card for the PC.

12. DaddyDee

DaddyDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Ok, Thanks for all the help.

:thumbsup:

13. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    The network card is to connect the wireless modem/router to your PC using an ethernet cable. Currently I assume you just use USB, so don't need one at the moment, but you will with the router. They are dead cheap, and just slot in a spare PCI slot. Most of these will do the job: Network Cards