• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need help with Wake on USB feature.

kinn

I'm basically trying to get the PC to wake up via USB keyboard. I understand (I think) that in order to achieve this I need to:

Ensure that its enabled in Bios settings.
USB jumper settings are set to +5VSB.
Tick the "Allow the keyboard to wake the PC" option in Windows.

Now my problem is:

I see no BIOS settings for this.

Checking the motherboard i see no USB jumpers.

And the "Allow the keyboard to wake the PC" option in Windows s not even there!

Can anyone help?

My PC is a XPC Shuttle SD37P2

kinn

What motherboard do you have?

To be honest I'm not sure at the moment.

I did email Shuttle about it and they sent this email:

"Dear Shuttle customer, Power-ON by USB Keyboard/Mouse is enabled by default, but hiddenin BIOS. If you set the switch in Windows, the system should wakeup from S3 mode, if you press any key on the keayboard. Jumper orother configuration is not necessary."

Now what switch would this be? The "enable this device to wake the computer" one?

LOL all this hassle just to get an IR remote working with the blooming PC!

FireKracker

My apologies, I didn't read your post correctly, nice piece of kit!

If your PC is set to sleep from within windows or in the BIOS then you should by default, be able to 'arouse/wake up' the PC. The section you should be looking under in the BIOS is POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP. Page 25 of your manual (available here) details the power management features your system has. Have a fiddle with that and look in Windows at CONTROL PANEL >> POWER OPTIONS.

Hope that helps so far!

chris_f

Is this USB mouse a cabled one or wireless? if its cabled, check to make sure the LED is still on when the PC is asleep, if its not then the USB is powering down.

Also within device manager, check the USB ports power settings to make sure "allow computer to turn this device off to save power" is unticked, that could be a problem on your MB.

kinn

Is this USB mouse a cabled one or wireless? if its cabled, check to make sure the LED is still on when the PC is asleep, if its not then the USB is powering down.

Also within device manager, check the USB ports power settings to make sure "allow computer to turn this device off to save power" is unticked, that could be a problem on your MB.

Its a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

I did some more Google-ing and discovered some sort of registry hack that seems to solve some issues for some people.

Well I've done the hack and... success! I can now finally wake the PC with the keyboard!

I just have one more query guys . Now that this works, is it possible to to wake the PC with an IR remote? Like a Microsoft Media Remote. Something like this: Microsoft Remote Control and Receiver for Media Center PC with Windows Remote control - Infrared

Or maybe a cheaper one like this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....908584&cguid=e250a44f11e0a0aad573a083fed949ea

I basically want to get a front end like Media Portal and be able to wake/sleep, play pause etc with an IR remote.

And thanks again guys for the helpful advice:thumbsup:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom