1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help with strata III settings

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by matmum, Apr 10, 2003.

1. matmum

matmum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i have a arcam avr100 with a p85 power amp and ruark cl20's for main speakers, m&k centre and surrounds. i have all my speakers set to small and all the bass is going to the sub. could anyone give me some help on the correct settings to use for my strata III please - the controls on the back are -

mode 1-4 - (the modes are as follows:)
    1=line, phase=0
    2=lfe, phase=0
    3=line, phase=180 deg
    4=lfe, phase=180 deg

coarse (a-d) and roll-off (1-6)
    (course & rolloff settings as follows)

rolloff frequency hertz
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    a 22 23 25 27 28 30
    b 32 34 36 38 41 43
    c 46 49 53 56 60 64
    d 69 73 78 83 89 95

i have attempted trying some various settings but i dont think that i have got it correct as i get some low rumbling when their shouldn't be , but i think thats because i am inexperienced with the settings that i have used as i dont know anything about bass cutoff frequencies etc.

any help would be greatly appreciated - also i am using the sub with my music as well by connecting the hi level output as well as the low level.

cheers
    matt

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For stereo, you want the subwoofer roll-off around the LF area of your CL 20's- so roughly 40hz (of course the room can affect LF bass response, so it's basically trying either side of 40hz)

To ~40hz rolloff on the sub, you want 5 & B setting. Increase/decrease subwoofer whilst playing music to get a invisible seam between the CL20's & the Strata.

However for AV you might leave it 40hz- or set to 80hz (the THX spec) so select 4 & D.

I prefer the 80hz setting for AV, and much lower volume & crossover for stereo.

Tricky really- I have a Rel Storm for AV - set to 80hz. I've used it temporary for music, but because the two settings (50hz music/80hz AV, plus the different volumes- I can either use it on one setting for both purposes)

So I bought a small Yamaha subwoofer for music only- they are pretty rubbish for AV, but because the volume is very low, and the crossover is low- it's not too bad (it's only reproducing 30hz-50hz)

3. matmum

matmum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    thanx for that info - i am unsure what mode i need to select - as i have no idea - also do u think i should use the metal spiked feet that come with the woofer - i have read elsewhere that the strata III sounds better without them but im not sure

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, you should choose 1 or 2, depending on what input.

Do try out 3 & 4 (once you've got levels right) The manual has lots of info.

Use the spiked feet.

5. matmum

matmum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i tried those settings that u suggested and they seem to be working fine apart from one small problem - i have matched the front speakers bass levels with the sub level but sometimes the sub makes softish low noise when there doesnt appear to be any bass content - i just wondered if there was anything i could do about this (i.e. changing a particular control setting to reduce it)

thnx
    matt