1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help with speakers for A11SR

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Pack Dude, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I am a bit of a newbie to all this stuff but decided to jump into the deep end and buy a Denon AVR-A11SR amp.
    As for speakers I don’t really have a clue. I do have a pair of old Tannoy 611’s which to me sound good but I have not heard any newer speakers and where I live I can’t audition any.
    So my questions are. Should I keep the Tannoys and buy more speakersto go along with them, if so which ones? Or just forget about them and buy a whole new speaker setup?
    How close to the TV can I set the Tannoys? My room is not that big (about 10 feet X 14) so if I buy any new speakers I would like them to be magnetically shielded.

I think I should say I will be using the amp to listen to music more than watching movies.

Thanks for any help :)

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you a budget in mind?
    What is you preference when listening to music..Stereo/Multichannel?
    How do you view your movies DVD/Sky etc?

3. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Hi
    I can spend about £1500 on speakers but would rather spend less.
    I have only listened to music in stereo with an Pioneer A400 amp (its not even remote control) so don’t know what multi channel would be like but I have a feeling I would prefer normal stereo.

I have nothing to go with my amp but a Toshiba (2939DB or
    something like that) 29inch TV a Pace sky box a Sony HIFI VCR and my computer which has a 5.1 soundcard.
    I will be buying a DVD player after I get the speakers.

I am only really starting out with the amp my first buy.

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listen to my music in stereo, find multichannel destroys the enjoyment, so a good pair of fronts to take care of the stereo duties.......i'm using Polk Audio floorstanders so i would recommend them, also you could look at B&W KEF Mission and Tannoy............hopfully you will get some more recommendations.

For movies...... what ever speakers you decide on for the front L/R keep with the same manufactuer for the centre and the surrounds as this keeps speakers sounding the same (timbre matched) Most manfactures carry different ranges were you can choose a full speaker system i.e fronts L/R, centre and the surrounds.

Adding a sub bass will depend on how much bass do you like when listening to music and watching movies.tannoyMission Polk Audio B&WKEF

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has to be said....for a 'first' amp buy, you've got a corker.....
    I reckon once you've had a few movies going through it, you might find, that the movies overtake the music!!!!...
    An amp that good, deserves good speakers.......
    M&K K-series are beauties...not too big.....wiked for movies....
    and very respectable for stereo duties........although, they're
    probably a bit too expensive for your budget.......
    Maybe the extra dosh is worth it, as your amp is so good...

Adzman

6. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pack Man I have got the A11SR hooked up to some Mission Speakers. I have had the speakers for quite some time now but it sounds great. They are 753s. Which I think is now superceeded by 783s from Mission.

As you have yet to get a DVD player and feel the power of real surround you are in for a good time at your local HiFi shop.

I reckon, and I know its painful but you need to do both things. If you buy the speakers first then the DVD you wont have listened to them as a system. If you do it the other way round DVDs will only sound a bit better than TV with only two speakers.

As you are almost starting from Scratch surround sound speaker package is probably your best bet. Put the tannoys on your old amp and hook it up to your PC.

I would try to get to a dealer who has the A11SR on demo and get them to connect up a few kits.

You dont have to get the sub day one.

Also try it out with a few DVD players you have in mind so you can add that in short order.

As for magnetic shielding. Certainly my Mission 75C is shielded. 753 floor standers are not. You might find that some of the speakers in packages are shielded as they are designed for that market.

Whatever happens you are going to want good speakers, Sub and DVD player as soon as you have heard the system running in the shop :)

Rog

7. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 2p worth chaps would also be M&K's.

They adore power with the 11SR has, fast articulate and accurate. Would try to get 2 subs if going for k series.

Great choice of first AMP, I started off with a Harmon Kardon Pro Logic unit many moons ago.

8. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks for the help and the links.
    I had a look at the web pages and think the M&K’s look good; I guess I can spend a little more on speakers.
    There is no HIFI shop anywhere near me so I can’t listen to the speakers before I buy, I know should but there is no way I can :(

I have looked at buying them online but can’t find anyone selling the M&K’s :confused:

i am using the amp on my PC at the min and it souds great with my old tannoys even with mp3's :D

thanks

9. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Id also consider the Ruark Prologue R's (fronts £1,000 rrp) Dialogue R (Center £400 rrp) and Epilogue R (rears £400 rrp). They have just been replaced by the series 2, however sevenoaks sound an vision still have a few left which are going for half price - so £500 for the fronts ect.

There are reviews of this system on this web site and it came out tops for both music and cinema: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/SpeakerPackages/Ruark/RuarkContemporaryR.shtml

Good luck in your search - youve bought yourself a good amp there - as others have said id highly recommend demoing some speakers before buying though - what sounds good to some doesnt to others.

Spike

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know where abouts you are, but there are companies that do home cinema installations, and home demos, admittedly they will not travel miles and miles you may have some luck there. How far are you from civilization/nearest store?

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you like the M&K's, you can ring their UK distributor Gecko to see where the nearest store that sells their range is.
    0208 - 603 - 0480

12. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks again
    It looks if I spend about £2000 on speakers from any of the named manufacturers I will be doing ok but if I was to listen to them first I could pick the ones I like best.

So the best I can do is read as much as a can from the net and from the people that have helped me in this forum then make a choice….after saving up some more pennies.

I have to say the amp does sound good connected to my computer (soundblaster audigy card) with my old Tannoys. I even connected the rear speakers that came with my TV, then downloaded Gladiator from the net and watched it in DPL with the centre speaker turned off.

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    if that sounds good to you, then just wait til you hear it in DTS on DVD.....!!

PS...watching downloaded movies on that amp is an insult to the amp!!

14. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry to hear that you are so ill but you really should listen to the speakers before you buy, especially if you spend that much money.
    How about asking a friend to find some dealers which stock the speakers of your choice (based on recommendations / reviews) and then arrange for a home demo?

Personally I would recommend something along the line of Dynaudio Audience series, Focus Audio (perhaps difficult to find) or ProAc Studio series.