Need help with speaker suggestions for Musical Fidelity M2Si

SARN

Novice Member
Reaction score
Need help with speaker suggestions for Musical Fidelity M2Si ...

My system is currently Bluesound Node 2i/Chord Qutest into a Musical Fidelity M2si through B&W 606 S2 anniversary speakers. I recently purchased a pair of Kef r500 floor standers and didn't like them, I found them lacking clarity and sparkle while the base lacked definition (loved the stereo image though). I assume that this is my room set-up causing this issue. I like the clarity and energy delivered by the B&W's but I'm seeking a little more bass extension provided by larger speakers but it must have good clarity too. What should I audition, after my experience with the Kef's I feel a little confused as to where to look next? Do I look towards a more expensive stand mounter which seem to work better in my room? Any help much appreciated!

The MF is more likely somewhat under powered for the R500s. Dipping to a low of 3.2 ohms they need more current than the MF can deliver. Bass response is one of the strong points of the KEF R Series but needs an amp that can control it with the speed and agility that they require. Saying that the R500s don't dig that deep.

If you still have the KEFs then I would experiment with positioning and certainly look at the port extension on the back and adjust, or remove the bungs if they are present. The difference between the B&Ws is down to how bright they sound, much more forward in the treble than any KEF you're likely to come across. Did you give your grey matter time to adjust?

As you prefer the sound of the B&Ws, then a Dali pairing could be considered.

if you are happy with second hand then these may be worth a shot and a train ticket to audition -

or here's a big tempter - Dynaudio Special 40's

or in a bolder colour -

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Second suggestion for pairing PMC's with MF, I have this setup and it sounds brilliant.

I had the 606's paired with an MF M2Si and was also looking for something that extended the bass. I've ended up with some ATC SMC11's. Achieved what I wanted but with the added benefit of a really sweet top end.

Thanks for some great suggestion everyone - I had the PMC speakers on my list to listen too but not the ATC's or Dynaudio's - now they are.

Interestingly, I read another poster on this forum not liking the MF with Kef R series sound, calling it dull and lifeless. Maybe the Kef R series just doesn't suit the MF amp, or at least doesn't for those of us who prefer a more lively, up front balance.

One other question, any concerns with the M2Si's ability to effectively provide the power and control for the PMC's ATC's etc.? I'd rather not upgrade that too just yet. Thanks again!

Happy with the MF / ATC combination. The ATC's aren't particularly sensitive but no obvious lack of power or control. However I should say that my room is quite small and volume is always on the quieter side of moderate.

The PMC twenty.22 are actually more sensitive than your 606’s (90 vs 88db/W/m).

The MF is more likely somewhat under powered for the R500s. Dipping to a low of 3.2 ohms they need more current than the MF can deliver.
Can someone tell me what is a good level of current? I thought 25A was pretty good especially compared to the Audiolab 6000 with about 9A IIRC.

Musical Fidelity M2si Integrated Amplifier Review - Audio Appraisal
Specs and Measurements
The M2si is built around a class A/B amplifier with a single pair of output devices per channel. It delivers an underrated 60.5W per channel into an 8 ohm load (22V RMS, 20Hz-20kHz) with a claimed 25 amps of max current delivery (peak to peak). Power at the onset of clipping is actually closer to 78W (25V RMS) into an 8 ohm load, almost doubling to 137W per channel into a 4 ohm load from 20Hz to 20kHz. Rated frequency response is flat to within -0.1dB from 10Hz to 20kHz, though during my tests this extended to beyond 50kHz which is excellent.

Yes they should be fine however the Kef R500 has equal sensitivity to the 606’s but seems to need more power than the MF can deliver.

Can someone tell me what is a good level of current? I thought 25A was pretty good especially compared to the Audiolab 6000 with about 9A IIRC.

Musical Fidelity M2si Integrated Amplifier Review - Audio Appraisal
Specs and Measurements
The M2si is built around a class A/B amplifier with a single pair of output devices per channel. It delivers an underrated 60.5W per channel into an 8 ohm load (22V RMS, 20Hz-20kHz) with a claimed 25 amps of max current delivery (peak to peak). Power at the onset of clipping is actually closer to 78W (25V RMS) into an 8 ohm load, almost doubling to 137W per channel into a 4 ohm load from 20Hz to 20kHz. Rated frequency response is flat to within -0.1dB from 10Hz to 20kHz, though during my tests this extended to beyond 50kHz which is excellent.
That’s a great question and one that’s confusing me too, I thought, maybe incorrectly, that the MF has the power to drive most speakers.

I have M2si and have paired them with Epos m22i ..

awesome combination .. It really makes them sing

The MF M2si has a damping factor of only 36. So you need either a tight or a fast bass response from your speakers. In the day I would have suggested Celestions as they always seemed tight to me but these days I haven't much of an idea about that.
The Davis Courbet 4 has nice fast bass but the impedence drops to 5.7Ohms your amp could handle that though. They are small floorstanders. I think you'd like the bass particularly if you listen to rock. They are tonally very consistent across the frequency range. So if you can find a pair these might interest you.

The amp has plenty of power for most speakers if it doesn't sound good it's more likely to do with damping and getting floppy bass which it seems you don't like. Nor do i btw.
From what I know the PMC's also should give controlled bass but being transmission line you like it or you don't and tonally they are not consistent though you could like the result.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom