Need help with Sound card and optical in

wpickett

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gils.
I need some help. I need help on two problems i got actually. Right, here goes.

I currently purchased a new tv. This being a Samsung LE32B450 and over the last week or two I have been trying to connect it to my tv. As I have been currently been using my onboard soundcard on my pc to play sound I thought i would need to buy a new sound card to that i have got optical in on the soundcard. I decided to go for this one - Speedlink 7.1 PCI Audio Card (inc optical cable) - Ebuyer. Reason being its cheap and im on a tight budget and it seemed like it would do the job.

The reason in buying a new soundcard was so i could connect my xbox to my tv etc and play my tv sound through my 5.1 speaker is have. I was planning on using an optical cable from tv and then connect to the sound cards optical in.

The first problem that i came accross was that when i installed the soundcard. All the sound is playing like a slow motion. I have disabled the integrated soundcard in the bios and deleted the drivers for the onboard soundcard. I have also installed the newest dirvers for the new soundcard but still no luck. I did actually get the soudn working for like a day last week but then just seemed to mess up again for some reason and I have not changed anything etc. However, I do know that the pc was tuirned off with shutting down correctly.

The second problem is that once i did get the sound working for like a day. the sound was only polaying on one speaker instead of the 5.1. Is there anything else i need to do to get it working 5.1?

Hope all this makes sense and sorry for babbling on. :)

Cheers

Hi and welcome, I think you need to be clearer in your explanations for the guys to help you. What 5.1 speakers do you have and do you have an amp/reciever?

Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like your playing your TV sound through your soundcard and a set of pc 5.1 speakers? How is your tv connected to your sound card, what cables? I had to buy a cable for my xbox 360, forgot the name, but it had an optical out slot. So I imagine you can optical out to your soundcard and component/HDMI to your tv for visuals. If you have a reciever then everything should go through it. There are many posts to help you there.
This is the best I got for you!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The speakers are just a 5.1 set. No i dont have an amp or a receiver.

I have got the visual from the pc to tv working but just need the sound from the tv to the pc sonud card to work correctly.

I am using an optical cable from the output of my tv to the input of the soundcard on my pc, so whatever is playing on my tv will play through my 5.1 speakers that are connected to my soundcard. ANy ideas why its only playing through one speaker?

Thanks

From what Ive read, is that the TV only outputs stereo so you wont be able to get 5.1 no matter what you do.

I reckon your only getting sound out of your front speaker?If you use optical from the xbox to the soundcard you should get 5.1 at least, but dont quote me on this.
Afraid I cant help anymore

Doesnt look like the TV can decode 5.1 audio. Now, are you using a sky box or something? If you are, use the optical or spdif out to the soundcard and that should produce better results. Good luck

OK. thanks alot for all your help. Its made me think of other ways to connect it all together now. Just one more problem though. With the new soundcard that i got. I installed the newest drivers etc and the sound is being lpayed like slow motion. Anyone got any ideas about this?

Thanks againfor all your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom