Need help with setting up a Rotel RDG-1520

Freditor

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't get it connected to my wireless network. It detects it but as soon as I try to make a connection, I get a 'Network error: wireless connect timeout' message. It works if I turn off my modem's security.

Any tips?

Does it work if connected by Ethernet cable?

If so then your rotel Mac address may need to be entered in to the firewall or router access control list (acl). This will or should be in the wireless security settings.

Also check that the type of security (WEP/WPA/WPA2) set on the router is supported by the Rotel.

The Rotel supports WEP/WPA/WPA2.

I have this option on my modem called 'MAC restrict mode', it's turned to off.

Any other tips?

Well if it works with security turned off the only other thing I can think of is an odd character or space in the password that the Rotel doesn't support. Maybe change the password to a regular word for starters?

It was a fairly easy password, only letters and 2 numbers. Changed it to all letters, still nothing.

Getting worried here, I've tried pretty much everything :-(

I think we can rule out the rotel since it works when the security is switched off and look closely at the security software as that is what seem to be preventing the rotel from connecting to the network.

Which router\modem is it?
Is the security software held on the router\modem? I.e, you have to log on to the router to get to access it. Or is it extra software that came on a disc?
When you've entered the password via the rotel's gui, is it accepted? And if so, when the rotel is trying to connect, do you see any info like 'authenticating' or something to that effect? Depending on the rotel software, you may not.

W

Apologies if this is too obvious but are you sure you're using the the WiFi security password/key & not the password that logs you on to the router? Have you powered down the router & tried again?

It seems that the Rotel automatically detects the type of encryption so that shouldn't be an issue. Can you post a screen grab of the WiFi security page for your router?

If you're confident in re-entering all the required information for your ISP then a reset of the router to factory defaults may be worth a try.

First off: thanks to everyone for the help! Greatly appreciated :)

My modem is a DOCSIS 3.0, setting it up is done through the website of my internet provider.
When I've entered the password, I get a 'connecting to *name of my network*'. I should get a 'network key incorrect' message if I entered it wrong, according to the manual. I'm definitely using the right key and have set up numerous connections with it (laptops, smartphones, gaming consoles...)

Here's a screen grab of my settings: http://oi58.tinypic.com/166g2vs.jpg
It's in Dutch/Flemish though (I'm from Belgium), feel free to ask questions if anything isn't clear ;-)

Not too confident in re-entering all the info again, unless it's as simple as writing everything down the way it is right now.

Also sent an e-mail to Rotel support, hope they can help me out.

Docsis would appear to be a cable modem, not the router?

Not sure about both 2.4 & 5GHz sharing the same SSID. Maybe try changing one.

Last edited:
With docsis 3.0, the wireless router is built into the modem.

I already tried changing it to 2.4 or 5GHz only so I don't know if that would help... The specs for the rotel give '802.11g, 802.11b (2.4 GHz)' as wifi-standards.

These are the options in the tab 'signal':

http://i58.tinypic.com/ofxath.png

OK, just that searching the manual for Docsis 3.0 didn't detail any router options, so I assumed the router was separate as they usually are on fibre/cable.

I'm assuming that all you're doing to make it work is changing the security type from WPA2-PSK to none? If that's the case you could maybe try WEP as a test & see if that works. If it does then maybe increase the security one step at a time if there's a WPA mode?

I've already tried WEP and WPA (and WPA2 only), it only works if I set it to none.

I'm about out of ideas. The fact that you have other devices successfully connected to the router would suggest that it's not that. So assuming that you are correctly entering the password as case sensitive, the problem would seem to lie with the Rotel. Either with the WiFi adapter or the software. I can't find much about software on the UK site but found this on the USA one:

B&W Group North America Service & Support - Software Updates

Problem with that is it could be country specific. So you really need to speak to your local Rotel office to check which software version is relevant to your locale & where you can get it. Or return the unit to the dealer to test.

Edit
Just found this if you haven't tried it already.

DG-1520
With the unit powered on, press SETUP on the remote. Scroll down and select FACTORY DEFAULT and press SEL on the remote to select it. Press SEL, then DOWN on the remote so that the cursor is highlighting "Yes" on the Module section of the Reset menu. Then press SEL. Immediately after doing this, press SETUP again and go back to the FACTORY DEFAULT menu. This time, just press DOWN on the remote so that "Yes" is highlighted on the Main option, and press SEL to reset it.

Last edited:
Same here :-(

Don't know if we even have a Rotel office in Belgium. Should have mentioned that I bought it used, so returning it to the dealer isn't an option.
It work perfectly fine at the sellers place though, when through the internet radio options to show me everything was working. He does have a different provider (so also a different modem/router). And it could be that he had the same issue, turned of his security before I got there and made it seem like everything worked fine. Seemed like an honest guy though...

Did you see my edit re the factory reset? That's the first thing to do with a used product.

Rotel in Belgium:

B&W Group Benelux - Belgium
Godefriduskaai 14
Antwerpen
Ph: 0032(0)3-2067550
Email: [email protected]

Just did it, same message. I thought I'd update the software again but aparently it's still service pack 1.37.

Do you have an old router laying around? If so you could try connecting to that, not necessarily to the Internet but just to test the WiFi security. If not could you take it to a friend/neighbour & try connecting there?

Thanks for the info on Rotel in Belgium! Don't have an old router, unfortunately. But I'll do what you suggested, take it to a friend to see if it works there. He's an IT guy so maybe he knows what's wrong with it.

If all else fails, I could buy an ethernet dongle (only came with a wifi dongle) and use it wired. Though getting a UTP cable to where my hifi setup is will be quite a hassle.

Any idea where I could purchase such a dongle?

I would imagine that you'd need to use the Rotel branded product as driver support is likely limited to only that chipset. Unless Google can shed some light on a compatible device? You could use homeplugs to establish the connection via the mains rather than running a cable. It would probably be more stable than WiFi too but depends what Rotel want to charge for the adapter. Historically HiFi manufacturers like to charger premium prices for a generic device once they've put their logo on it!

Just gave them a call, the guy that specializes in stuff like this is out of office. Sent them an e-mail with the situation, they said they would get back to me as soon as possible (might be today).

If you don't mind the cost of the call you could always try the UK office.

Technical Support: +44 (0)1903 221 700

They said they would escalate my mail to the UK office if needed, I think I'll just wait for a reply for now.

Got some replies from B&W group US (sent them an e-mail as well), they gave several tips but with no success so far...

By the way, what did you mean with "You could use homeplugs to establish the connection via the mains rather than running a cable"?
Do you mean powerline adaptors?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom