Need help with setting up a network

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by 28marcus, Jul 28, 2012.

1. 28marcus

28marcus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I could do with some advice. I live in France in the middle of no-where and good advice is hard to find.

I have a main house and two gites and a reasonably large area outside to cover. I run an English language school for french business people in the countryside. The wi-fi network needs to be mixed mode and no security.

Currently my ISP is Tooway, 10MB down. The Tooway Nordnetbox router is a pile of Dingo's dooberries. As it also runs the phones I can't bin it, or can I?

This is plugged into an Apple Time Capsule (ATC) in the main house. The two Gites have a TP-Link Wi-Fi Range extender (TL-WA830RE) in each one connected by Cat V seperately from the main house and into the ATC router.

The main house also has two Netgear WNHD3004 access points in to extend wi-fi coverage.

Originally the idea was to put the netgear AP's in the Gites because they have ethernet ports therefore I could connect Apple TV, Freesat boxes etc. However they just don't seem to work down there. Email fails, ineternet is soso and the ATV's just don't connect at all. Replacing them with the TP-Link RE's and I have no problem, except no ethernet connections.

I've put the Netgears in the main house and Internet is patchy and they don't seem to want to allow the EyeTV Netstream to work. There is obviously some sort of conflict going on somewhere.

I therefore need to replace the two Gite TP-Links with a range extender with ethernet and move the range extender's to the main house and bin the Netgears.

Anyone have some thoughts and suggestions? :lease:

2. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1554662-faq-using-two-routers-together.html

1. The ISP router. There is nothing stopping you changing to a 3rd party router so long as it supports all the functions you require. In your case the extra service would be the phones which I assume is VOIP. The downside is that the ISP won't provide support if their router isn't connected.

2. Wiring between main house and gites. I would say you should be looking to upgrade this to at least cat 5e or even cat 6 for future proofing. I would also have 2 runs to each gite, 1 for use 1 as a spare.

3. Netgears in house. The link at the top leads to a great sticky about setting things up. Essentially you need to have the two APs using the same SSID as the ISP router, same wireless setup and security, switch DHCP on APs off (there should only be 1 DHCP service running on your whole network), each AP needs a unique IP address.

4. wifi analyser on an Android smartphone or InSSIDer on a laptop are excellent for mapping your wifi coverage and making sure you have got it all covered.
    inSSIDer – Discover the Wi-Fi Networks Around You | MetaGeek

5. I would be looking to get your network working correctly before looking a replacing products. It may just be a case of shuffling them around once configured correctly.

3. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    Whilst you're wandering around with InSSIDer, it would also be a good idea to pay attention to the radio channel mapping. For the best aggregate throughput for the system as a whole, you want to try and ensure that adjacent wi-fi coverage cells are not using the same or similar radio channels.

4. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Is the cable run to the gites is more than 35m from the house? If it is, Cat6 won't provide any future proofing over Cat5E. Cat6 gives 10Gb Ethernet to about 35m; Cat6a is needed for 10Gb to 100m. Be careful about running copper cables to other buildings if they are different electrical phases as this can be dangerous. Fibre would be the way to get round both of these problems (electrical and future proofing). Definitely agree about multiple runs to each place.