Need help with receiving Internet Radio with the Pioneer VSX920

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sue Rowbotham, Nov 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Sue Rowbotham

Sue Rowbotham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going to Richer Sounds on Sunday to pick up a Pioneer VSX 920, a bit confused about the internet radio facility on this unit. It says in the user manual that you can connect via satellite but am I wrong in thinking that I can also listen via my router. If so how can I do that and how to would I select the stations. It only gives instructions in the manual either to connect by satellite or by external aerial.

2. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Via satellite sounds like Sirius radio, which is only available on US models, are you looking at the US manual?

3. Sue Rowbotham

Sue Rowbotham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your quick reply, I downloaded the user manual from Pioneer that's how I know about Sirius, but can I connect via ethernet cable to my router

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
  5. Sue Rowbotham

Sue Rowbotham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much, I have just downloaded the eu manual, will have a study of that now.

6. Sue Rowbotham

Sue Rowbotham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We bought the VSX 920 in the end, set it up with the TV, Blu Ray and cable box. I am trying to set up the internet radio, we have unlimited broadband so listening to radio is cost effective. I am accessing the receiver's IP address through the laptop so the wireless side is working no problem. What I can't work out is what URL do I need to input to the receiver to get it to play radio, I have talked to Pioneer and they say to work through that part of the manual. For example BBC use the iplayer but every URL I input to the receiver it says it can't connect.

I will post this to the Pioneer forum as well, so if I am wrong just smack my hands.

7. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I use the RadioFeeds app on my Squeezebox most of the time for listening to internet radio. I also use the website at work for locating stations to listen to.

radiofeeds.co.uk

8. Harry Paget

Harry Paget
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello, Sue,

I listen to Internet Radio via my 920- it's great compared to the MW reception in my part of the world!

It sounds as though you're nearly there, having accessed the Pioneer via your laptop. I'm assuming that you can see the pre-sets screen in a web-browser window? Now all you need to do is paste in the correct URLs for each station; I found this siteUnited Kingdom radio stations streaming live on the internet - Listen online very useful. If you click on any of the links under the 'Listen live' column, a new window opens and the station begins to play – all you then need to do is copy the URL (at the top of the new window) and paste it into any of the 24 'pre-set' spaces on the Pioneer screen, add a 'title' and it should appear on the receiver's screen when you scroll through the Internet Radio selector.

Hope that helps.

Harry

9. Sue Rowbotham

Sue Rowbotham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much Harry, yes I've almost sorted it, by chance Radio 1 was already programmed in and I copied the link and just changed radio 1 to 2 and 4, it does sound brilliant, no interference. Where are you from ?
    I thought I was being thick, had a few attempts to programme the stations, I have realised that the amp needs the link in a particular way, I will take a look at the website you suggest.

Thanks again for your help.:)

10. Sue Rowbotham

Sue Rowbotham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Harry just one more thing, I have found the radio station website, which player do I choose, what is a kbps?

11. Harry Paget

Harry Paget
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello, Sue,

Kbps = kilo-bits per second, away of measuring the data transfer speed. Basically, the higher the bit-rate, the better the sound quality will be.

As to formats, the WMA links work well (they generally end in '.asx') and I also listen to some '.m3u' linked stations (which stream MP3 data) with no problems.

I'm right down in darkest Cornwall (Helston), where medium wave seems to go in and out with the tide after seven o'clock!

12. Sue Rowbotham

Sue Rowbotham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone knows when I am using internet radio on the pioneer why it loses the signal every so often, I thought it might be a firewall that was interfering with the signal but I have switched it off and I still have the problem. Fantastic reception when I get it though.

13. gratefuldave84

gratefuldave84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo Harry,
    Hope that you don't mind me contacting you, I have been following your help with the VSX 920 which you have been giving to Sue and have found it extremely helpful in setting up the radio on my new VSX 920.

The problem I have is that when I copy and paste the url from listening screen as advised it is giving the message "Connection NG" instead of "Connection OK" I wonder if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
    Dave.

14. Harry Paget

Harry Paget
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello, Dave,

It sounds as though you have either an inaccurate link (e.g. a rogue space or full-point somewhere) or a connection issue.

If you click on a link from the 'Listen live' site (link in earlier post) can you listen to the station via your web-browser?

If that works O.K., it might be a firewall issue, in which case you'll have to amend your settings to disable networked firewalls. I can't tell you how to do that unless you're a Mac user - my knowledge of the P.C. platform is thinner than the Leonard Cohen joke book.

Attached is a screenshot of my (working) pre-sets, if you want to double-check that your pasted links are as they should be.

Good luck!

HP

Attached Files:

15. gratefuldave84

gratefuldave84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Harry
    I'll try that tomorrow its a bit late now
    Dave

16. gratefuldave84

gratefuldave84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've took a couple of url's from your working presets and receiver is working fine on them. I am attaching the url which I get for listening live to Radio Cornwall on the net on web browser and it is different to your preset, so it seems i am downloading the wrong url info.
    What I have been doing is bringing up live listing then copying and pasting url from top of page but it doesn't work!!
    Any ideas?
    Thanks a bunch for info so far, at least I know its not the firewall.

Thanks for everything
    Dave

17. gratefuldave84

gratefuldave84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a dummy forgot to send my Radio Cornwall url from live listening. Here it is. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_cornwall

BBC iPlayer - Listen live - BBC Cornwall

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  18. Harry Paget

Harry Paget
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello, Dave,

Yes, the URL to access radio stations via their web streams are different to those used to access internet radio directly.

From the 'Listen Live' site, which is a really helpful collection of URLs for all sorts of stations, instead of copying the link under the 'Radio Station' column, you need to copy the link under the 'Listen Live' column (where the bit-rate is given). Attached is an amended screenshot to illustrate where the correct links are hidden!

Hope that helps.

HP

Attached Files:

19. Sue Rowbotham

Sue Rowbotham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave, hope you got your problem sorted. I made the same mistake as you and thanks to Harry I am listening to internet radio, the urls do have to be exactly right. Sounds great although there still are times when the transmission breaks and I can only put that down to my service provider and their streaming capabilities,

Hope you are enjoying your vsx 920

20. gratefuldave84

gratefuldave84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sue,

Yes I am enjoying it,I've finally cracked it with Harry's help and also a big thank you to you also for contacting Harry in the first place and having the same probs as me. Lost Radio 2 yesterday for a short period so must be down to streaming probs. I live in Bolton Lancashire on the Darwen moor area, must be same everywhere.
    I am just about to send Harry a thank you message now.

All the best and happy listening
    Dave::clap:

21. gratefuldave84

gratefuldave84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Harry,
    All sorted now, thanks again for all your help.
    Best Regards
    Dave