• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

need help with ps3 to amp ?

tabs

Established Member
morning y'all ... ive just connected my ps3 to my amp (onkyo 505), via optical ... now im getting sound from the ps3 from the speakers, but ... im only getting sound from the front left and right and nothing from the others ? is this the "norm" or am i doing something wrong in the ps3 audio settings etc :confused:

thanks in advance

geomuss

Established Member
hi tabs,

i think i commented on this before and i was wrong! sorry did not realise the amp only used hdmi pass through.

make sure the settings on the ps3 are set to bitstream!

tabs

Established Member
hi tabs,

i think i commented on this before and i was wrong! sorry did not realise the amp only used hdmi pass through.

make sure the settings on the ps3 are set to bitstream!

thanks for the help :smashin:

i am struggling to find "bitstream" though in the settings ... whereabouts should i be looking ?

Moogle

Distinguished Member
thanks for the help :smashin:

i am struggling to find "bitstream" though in the settings ... whereabouts should i be looking ?

Settings -> BD/DVD Settings -> BD Audio Output Format ( Optical Digital ).

Choose Bitstream.

geomuss

Established Member
ok cant get to my ps3 at the mo,

into setting bd/dvd, change audio output settings to bitstream

into sound settings, make sure that 5.1 and dts 5.1 are ticked on optical output.

make sure you choose optical out! in sound settings :thumbsup:

Moogle

Distinguished Member
No problem. Glad you got it working. :smashin:

Widge

Prominent Member
Thread revival!

I just stuck an optical cable in the PS3 running to my Tosh SD 63HK (or HK 63SD... I forget which way round!). Basically the all in one unit has 3 settings. DVD where the sound comes from the DVD player, Line In 1 where its running from my TV via stereo leads and Line In 2 which is the optical in. So far I've been using sound via my TV and finally got it together to use my optical cable. So I've set it to Line 2 and its all fine. Yet I go to the PS3 sound menu and select the Optical in Options (with DTS 5.1 etc enabled) and thus ceases all my sound! I've no idea why sound is going via optical to Line In 2 until I actually set the PS3 to optical.

If you see what I mean. Any advice at all?

Right. now I have sound, but I've lost the menu click! It comes back if I scan through a massive list of files but for normal navigation its gone.

Boo.

the reason for this is because optical only transmits a signal when sound is being played. if there is no sound, then no signal is sent. when browsing through one file at a time, it takes a second or so for the signal to be sent and recieved, which means by the time the signal reaches your amp, the sound has already been played. the sound will come back when browsing loads of files as the sound is more frequent compared with normal navigation which keeps the signal transmitting. basically a delay is what you are experiencing and i dont think there is a way around this.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom