1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with Pioneer PDP 435 HDE and Denon A11

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bapu, May 3, 2005.

1. Bapu

Bapu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to this and need some help and pointers.

In the menu of Denon A11 you can choose progressive scan, I understand the difference between interlaced and progressive, but that is about it. There is another option in the menu called progressive mode. It's here it stops up. I can choose out 5 alternatives:

Auto1 Select this when image recorded to the dvd is film material
    Auto2 Select this when the image recorded to the dvd is 30-frame film material
    Video1 Select this for regular video material
    Video2 Select this for material having little movement
    Video3 Select this for material having a lot of movement

Out of the description of the manual I'm not sure what to select.

My Dvd player is connected by dvi-hdmi to the plasma screen.

I also wonder about the dvi settings on the dvd player. What to choose between 720p or 1080i.. As far as I can tell 1080i looks a little better..
    If I use p or i I would have to adjust progressive scan to intelaced or progressive?
    And can the Pioneer handle 1080i? Is 1080i a hdtv format?

Proboably many silly questions, but pretty new to this.

Bapu

2. Bapu

Bapu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found out a little. The plasma screen supports 720p and 1080i
    but I don't know wich is better..

And when watching a dvd, does it have to be hd ready or does the dvdplayer/plasma convert the picture?

As for the progressive modes I'm still very insecure..

Bapu

3. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Progressive Mode: This afaik depends on what kind or material you are viewing. For Region 1 DVDs (i.e. NTSC) you should select Auto 1 and for PAL Auto 2.

Video 1-3: I think this is for the Y/C separation used in video upconversion, so in your case not really relevant.

720p or 1080i: There is no obvious answer and you will find a lot of experts recommending one and the other. Progressive, i.e. 720p is more suited for fast moving pictures, i.e. action movies etc. Also, it depends on your screen. It is unlikely to be able to display a resolution of 1920x1080, which means the scaler in your screen will have to downscale it back to your screen's resolution (probably 1280x768 if you have a HD screen). I prefer 720p over 1080i but it's really a matter of taste, give both a try and see which one you prefer.

4. Bapu

Bapu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your help MPK. That sorted out many of my questions

My plasma screen, Pioneer PDP 435HDE is HD ready. and support 720p and 1080i.

As you said I've tried both 720p and 1080i, when using 720p on the dvd 720p is displayed on the plasma display aswell. When I use 1080i on the dvd player the plasma screen displays 1125i. But this is porboably just the plasma scaling it to fit?

And is it ok to run either 720p or 1080i watching normal dvd's? You don't need HD ready dvd's? The dvd player will convert the signals along with the plasma screen?

Bapu