Need help with Pioneer DCS505

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dr Wu, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Dr Wu

Dr Wu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

First time post here, looks like an excellent forum! Hopefully this is the correct place to post this....

I have recently bought the Pioneer DCS505 home cinema system. I got it pretty cheap (£265) so i'm very pleased with it - great sound for an "all in one" package and it looks sweet too.

I do have a large problem with it though - it keeps turning itself off. Only when I watch a DVD though...I have it connected to my sky digibox through AV for the sound and S-video to my TV. It never goes to standby, no matter how loud i have it, if I am watching SKY, but after 5 minutes of a DVD it just happens.

I rang the pioneer helpline and wasnt very impressed - they said unplug it from everything other than the TV and play a DVD, see if it happens. It did!

So i'm desperately looking for some help! I'm trying hard to avoid the last resort of getting a replacement as it took me so bloody long to wire the thing up in the first place! Has anyone got any ideas at all what could be making the system turn off?

thanks

Aaron

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The only two purely 'out there' guesses(!) that I could think of were:

1. the deck is overheating;

2. that you have the 505 connected through a piece of equipment that shuts-down after a few minutes without use.

You appear to have covered both points in your text though - unless it is the drive component... :(

I have a 303 and can't think of anything relevant. I even had a run through the setup menus, should something come to mind; but alas, nothing did.

Not any help, I know; but good luck with finding a solution and forget all those cables - they won't matter a jot if you end up with a new and working system! :clap:

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    The only other thing I can think of is remote control interference from the tv remote. It may be something like turning the volume up switches the Pioneer into standby. However it does sound like a geniune fault with the unit. Perhaps the dvd drive itself is overheating.

4. Dr Wu

Dr Wu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

I have now solved the problem!

I moved the sub over to the other side of the room - this appears to have worked! The sub is so loud (I have it on the lowest setting and it still sounds like its about to blow) that the vibrations from it must have somehow triggered the standby mode.

thanks for the help anyway guys :)

Aaron

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Jesus that sounds like some sub!

6. Dr Wu

Dr Wu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL yeah

Thats the only criticism I have with the setup - the sub is maybe just too loud. I had on attack of the clones the other day and some of the bits where ships are flying above your head were deafening! Seems to be holding up well though so bring it on!

Aaron

7. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Darn that sub! In a good way! :rotfl:

:clap:

As I recently mentioned in another thread posting, the sub volume was the first thing that I changed on my 303. I don't have it to hand, but it was also mentioned in a magazine review last year. I guess it'll help in large rooms!

Lucky I can't fit mine anywhere near the main box... :laugh:

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Not to be left out when I got my Samsung HTDM150 I also had to reduce the levels of output going to my sub. Something not many DAVS550 owners will have to do I think.

9. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2