Need help with Panasonic e55 setup please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sstocky, Oct 23, 2004.

1. sstocky

sstocky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:

I have Sky, a Panasonic Dmre55 and TV.

The Sky is connected to the Panasonic via scart, and the Panasonic connected to the tv via scart.
    I also have an RF cable into the Pansonic.

My problem is that if Sky is off, i can record the Analogue channels 1-5. As soon as Sky is turned on it overrides everything.

So the scenario is that someone wants to watch a sky channel but record ITV, and i cant do it. It will just record the sky signal.

Any ideas gratefully received as i am already in trouble for taping men and motors instead of the bill this week :nono:

2. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Need a bit more info about your tv, or the available connections to it.
    Its probably not sky taking over,but that scart input.
    Does the tv have more than one scart?
    Can you switch it between scart (aka AV) and rf (aka TV) ?

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The channel setting on the E55 is set to AV2 set it to Channel 1,2,3,4 to record them. Also connect the Sky box dirrect to the TV. If you want to record Sky switch the E55 channel to AV2 again. Depending on the number of scarts your tv has then you might need a Scart switching box to connet the £55 to the tv as well. Rember that the Sky vcr output only outputs a composite sig and not an RGB one only the TV scart from sky gives a RGB sig.

4. sstocky

sstocky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

The TV is a goodmans, with two scart inputs an RF and an svhs input.

The Sky is connected to the E55 via scart into AV2, and then the e55 connected to the tv via scart from AV1

We mainly record off sky due to the signal quality of analogue but on this occasion needed the analogue to be recorded.

The E55 was on channel 3 at the time. |(if sky is off it records the analogue signal fine)

I take it because the sky is connected via scart, it will always take precedence over the rf signal into the e55. :(

If i have the TV on AV1, and the E55 on i watch whatever channel is tuned in on the E55. As soon as i turn sky on i just get sky, even on the e55 channels 1-5 and av2.

I didnt really want to be having to switch scarts all the time so am looking for a way that i can have the sky box on, but also record channels 1-5 from the RF input please. :lease:

The setup currently allows sky to be on and showing on AV1 on the TV, but i can then switch back to the tv and watch analogue. If i am watching a dvd and then turn sky on, i just get sky. :suicide:

Thanks in advance

5. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have E55 and sky and this works fine:
    (you need another scart lead)

Sky AV1 to TV AV1. for watching sky
    Sky AV2 to E55 AV2. for recording sky (does not have best quality rgb signal,but is ok. plus you can use sky personal planner as a timer.))
    E55 AV1 to TV AV2. to play DVD's.(Think you can still record here as well.Try it)
    Keep the rf connections.

So to change between recording sky or rfTv scroll through the "inputs" key on the E55 remote.
    To watch sky or DVD scroll between AV1 and AV2 on the TV

Hope this helps

6. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Connect it this way.

Sky TV out to E55 AV2
    E55 TV out to TV AV1
    Sky VCR out to TV AV2

Set Sky to RGB
    E55 AV1 - RGB
    E55 AV2 input - RGB
    E55 AV2 connection - Normal ( This is important, don't choose decoder as it will only record from Sky and not the terrestial channels )

If you are recording from Sky, select AV2 on the E55.
    If you want to record from terrestial channels 1-5, select whatever channel you want to record. When it is recording, the Sky signal will not pass through so watch Sky on AV2 on your TV.

7. WarPig843

WarPig843

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I agree with the above. Having just purchased a DMRE85, Ive been experimenting with all the different connection options .
    If I've understood your question correctly then the following may help.

I assume that the commands and 'on screen' menus on the E55 and E85 are the same. If so, then it goes something like this...

Pressing 'Functions' button on remote brings up the option of entering a new 'timed recording'.

When this is selected, the new menu requests the start/end time etc. However, the first box requests the channel (although on the menu it is refered to as 'name'.

Using the channel button on the remote, ensure that within this box you select 'AV2' to record Sky, or select 1,2,3,4 or 5 etc to simply record normal TV channels.

If you havent alresdy done so, you will of course need to tune in the channels so that BBC1 is stored under 'position 1', BBC2 under 'position 2' etc. (This is done via the 'functions' then 'Tuning' options).

Hope I havent been teaching you to suck eggs, only I find it very frustrating myself when the most simple tasks dont seem to function.

8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You must have set the input on av2 in the recorder to "decoder", this will only allow recording from sky when the digibox is switched on, and is intended for people with no aerial available. You need to set it to normal and then you can record from the analogue channels or av2 as required.

9. sstocky

sstocky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

It appears i have it set to DECODER, so gonna change that and try it.

Cheers and will report back

Regards

10. sstocky

sstocky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup it was set to decoder. Thanks Kenfowler for that option, and thanks to all of you who replied to my post. I have a little better idea about the e55 now

cheers

11. stevebluenose

stevebluenose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry about this but this setup larks doing my head in now.How would i sort it by adding a video to the set up

12. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Put the vcr between the digibox vcr out and the tv.
    You can't directcly record from a vcr to the dvd recorder as you will have set the dvd in and out to rgb, which is not compatible with the vcr output.

If you wish to record to dvd from the vcr you need to temporarily connect the vcr out to the dvd av2 in and change the av2 setting to video to allow you to record, then alter it back afterwards. If you don't change the settings you will record a black screen.