Need Help with Network Connection to Garden Shed

Reaction score
I currently use AV600 powerlines around the house and they work great.

As i had an electric connection to the garden shed (approx 50m from the house) I also had an AV600 working in the shed. for the past few years (Power to the shed is turned off/on from a switch in the kitchen which also powes the security light for the garden - Note the shed also has a small fuse box). Electricity wise everything is working however the poweline connection is not.

The AV600 in the shed has stopped working (no powerline light on) i replaced it with a known working AV600 and it still didnt work.
I powered off / on the whole house from the main switch box, that didnt work either.

The only things that have happened around the time it stopped working was -
1. British Gas Homecare Engineer replaced an external power socket on the shed
2. British Gas replaced faulty Garden Security Light

Not sure what the issue could be? Appreciate any insight

It's possible the earthing has been changed, but I thought Powerline used the Neutral and Live connections, and these would not normally be affected if a local earth rod has been used.

You can get basic socket testers from Amazon and Screwfix. These will at least tell you if the phase connection is correct (Live and Neutral not reversed, or Neutral not present) and earth is connected.

2x2Mimo powerlines need all 3 wires to work but that is generally AV1200. AV600 should only require line and neutral. Are the powerline adapters in the house all AV600 ??

It's possible the earthing has been changed, but I thought Powerline used the Neutral and Live connections, and these would not normally be affected if a local earth rod has been used.

You can get basic socket testers from Amazon and Screwfix. These will at least tell you if the phase connection is correct (Live and Neutral not reversed, or Neutral not present) and earth is connected.
Thanks , will get one of these to check

2x2Mimo powerlines need all 3 wires to work but that is generally AV1200. AV600 should only require line and neutral. Are the powerline adapters in the house all AV600 ??
Yes they are
TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT AV600
Yes they are all AV600

OK, looking at the TPLink website, it looks like your powerlines use HomePlug AV2 technology,

Based on the Powerline technology, your network extension is never limited to the primary coverage of your router. With advanced HomePlug AV2,TL-WPA4220 KIT is perfect for delivering ultra-fast data transfer speed and brings network to anywhere there is a power outlet.

and from the Powerline Wiki for HomePlug AV2

Communication takes place on both the line–neutral and line–ground power line pairs

As @noiseboy72 said, it maybe an issue with the Earthing on your shed as these adapters need all 3 wires to work and BG Homecare engineer may have modified the Earth when they installed the new socket.

OK, looking at the TPLink website, it looks like your powerlines use HomePlug AV2 technology,

Based on the Powerline technology, your network extension is never limited to the primary coverage of your router. With advanced HomePlug AV2,TL-WPA4220 KIT is perfect for delivering ultra-fast data transfer speed and brings network to anywhere there is a power outlet.

and from the Powerline Wiki for HomePlug AV2

Communication takes place on both the line–neutral and line–ground power line pairs

As @noiseboy72 said, it maybe an issue with the Earthing on your shed as these adapters need all 3 wires to work and BG Homecare engineer may have modified the Earth when they installed the new socket.
Thanks for looking into this, i've also bee ndoing somemore research on the intenet. I cam across this post
"Success! I replaced the RCD (twin) wall socket with a normal switched twin socket and that cured the problem - it is odd though that the older RCD socket had worked with the powerline adapter for several months previously. Its also odd that it effected other sockets in that room"

The British Gas engineer replaced the external sockets on the shed to the newer RCD type of sockets (old soclet did not have RCD) could this have something to do with it.?

Not sure if replacing the external sockets would affect the interma; soclets which are wired to the common fuse box panel (see pictures)

I have called British Gas out to come and check the issue on Monday.

Attachments

• Inside Shed 2.JPG
    Inside Shed 2.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Inside Shed 1.JPG
    Inside Shed 1.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Outside Shed 2.JPG
    Outside Shed 2.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Outside Shed 1.JPG
    Outside Shed 1.JPG
    498.2 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for looking into this, i've also bee ndoing somemore research on the intenet. I cam across this post
"Success! I replaced the RCD (twin) wall socket with a normal switched twin socket and that cured the problem - it is odd though that the older RCD socket had worked with the powerline adapter for several months previously. Its also odd that it effected other sockets in that room"

The British Gas engineer replaced the external sockets on the shed to the newer RCD type of sockets (old soclet did not have RCD) could this have something to do with it.?

Not sure if replacing the external sockets would affect the interma; soclets which are wired to the common fuse box panel (see pictures)

I have called British Gas out to come and check the issue on Monday.
This.
RCDs using a sensing coil that measures any difference between the current in the live and neutral wires, and in some cases this can prevent the Powerline signal from being successfully transmitted.

Try turning off the feed to those sockets - if its on its own isolator, or if not and you feel confident to do so, remove the live cable to the socket. (Mains switched off of course if you are doing any electrical work)

Oh, and get rid of the solid block adapter. These are one of the biggest causes of electrical fires as they can be easily overloaded if not correctly fused and also have a tendency to slightly fall out of the socket, reducing the contact area and possibly heating up if subject to heavy current.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom