Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Need Help with NEC 3520a

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by welshboy, Jan 25, 2005.

1. welshboy

welshboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello
    I recentley posted a thread regarding which dvd rewriter to buy and as advised bought the NEC 3520.
    MY problem is i have just fitted it and when i try to boot the system it gets as far as the boot screen where windows xp lis loading the screen just befor the logon screen comes on but it will not go any further i have booted it in safe mode this works but this is the only way it will load up.
    I bought the drive from ebuyer and am wondering if anybody could possibly help and give me advice on wether it is a problem with the drive or am i doing something wrong as i am far from a genious in fitting drives.
    So i took the drive out and booted the system and the system now works fine.
    Please could somebody give me some HELP.
    Thanks.
    My pc is a packard bell imedia 5094 i dont know if this could be a compatability problem im sure some one can help.
    Thanks again.

2. resoremix

resoremix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Welshboy

First thought is to check the settings in the BIOS. These vary according to manufacturer but make sure that IDE is active.

Next you might want to check that you have the correct Master/Slave jumper settings on the NEC and that it is connected to the correct IDE cable plug.

Hope that helps.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,868
    Also make sure all drivers for the IDE are up to date. Also is the drive detected on the BIOS scan?

4. welshboy

welshboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi resoremix

As i said in first post novice on pcs would it be possible if you could put that in simpler form or step by step guide.
    Thanks alot for your extremley fast reply if if this is to much of a problem do not worry.

5. welshboy

welshboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi resoremix

As i said in first post novice on pcs would it be possible if you could put that in simpler form or step by step guide.
    Thanks alot for your extremley fast reply if if this is to much of a problem do not worry.
    Also i do not know if ths has anything to do with it but in my computer when i booted up in safe mode it did not say dvd by the drive but it said cd drive (f:)
    Thanks.
    Sorry about posting the same thing twice and it was not (f:) it is ( f : )
    Hope this dosent bring smiley up.

6. welshboy

welshboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mjn Thanks for that yes it does come up in the bios i took out a cd rewriter to fit this drive if this will help you all come to a conclusion.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sounds like a master/slave problem, as resoremix suggests.

How are you connecting this drive? Have you got one cable connecting both drives to the motherboard?

If so then the problem is almost certainly the fact that both devices are jumpered to be 'master', easy to sort out once we've identified it as the problem. :)

8. welshboy

welshboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello Kragon yes i have got the same IDE ribbon cable connecting to the motherboard does this mean i will have to buy another ribbon cable.
    Thanks.

9. resoremix

resoremix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep that's the problem. The drive you took out was probably jumpered as a slave and the new one you are adding is most likely set as Master.

No need to buy anything. Here's what to do:

Look at the drive you removed and at the back you will find some small (few mm) plastic pieces. There will be a diagram nearby on the drive telling you the configuration. It will read something like Master, Slave & Auto. Establish what your old drive was set to (either master or slave) and simply copy this setting on the new one by pulling off the jumpers and positioning them according to the diagram on the new drive.
    Now make sure you connect the new drive to the same cable and plug that the old drive was connected to.

Good luck

10. welshboy

welshboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks all for all your replys the drive is now in and working like it should. :thumbsup: