1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with my thought process...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Guy10, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Guy10

Guy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon All

Just at the beginning of my search for a New Plasma Screen, and have spent the last couple of hours happily browsing the board. All very good and useful. I'd be grateful if you could confirm that my thinking is on the right track.

The concensus here seems to be that the Panny TH-42PWD6 (or 7B) is the best overall compromise in terms of cost/quality. Defn 852x480, CR 4000:1. Currently available at av-sales for £1549, but usually needs a box or 2 to connect to everything (in my case Sky+, DVD, PS2...external sound system)

But the only comparable TV that's off-the-shelf HDMI complaint is the Hitachi 42PD5200. Defn 1024x1024 CR 1000:1. Currently available at Sound and Vision at £1988, and with more connectivity options.

The magazine reviews are about the same for the two screens, so from where I'm standing....it's a question of...

Do I pay £300 extra (taking into account an extra box for the Panny) for a higher definition television which will have no problems displaying HDMI, or do I buy the forum favourite, but regret it in 18 months time.

For £300 it seems like a no brainer......or is the Panny really that much better?....or have I completely missed something??

(Aim to view both screens next weekend, but would welcome your opinions now)

Thanks

Guy

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Check the spec for the Hitachi, it's not compatible with the 50hz HDMI signals you will need. Not to say the panasonic is better, just that this would be the wrong reason for making the choice.