1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with my Interconnects...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Apnomis, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I couldn't see an interconnect section!

I have a Pioneer 2011 and Denon 2800 mkII DVD player.

I use the DVD player as a CD player too, because it performs very well (compared to what I wanted to spend on a standalone CD player)

I currently have an IXOS 100.X03 Digital Coaxial cable connecting them.

I was wondering would I get better results if I left my Coaxial interconnect controlling my surround sound and get a pair of analogue interconnects for listening to CD's? IE have my denon connected to both the digital DVD input and analogue CD input of my Pioneer?

I don't know what is best to do? A friend told me that for the best CD sound you sound always use a good quality 2xRCA cable and leave the digital signals to the digital cable, is that true?

Thanks...

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    It generally depends on wether the dac in the dvd player is better than the amps. I suggest you try initially with a cheaper anologue cable to see if you notice any difference to the sound (for the better). If you do then get a better interconnect and connect to the amp via anologue and set the amp to direct mode so the dvd's dacs are used instead of the amps. If it doesn't improve things then stick to the coax and no harm done.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    As well as the relative quality of the DACs there's also the question of whether or not you need to use the processor for bass management, and whether or not the processor actually has an analogue bypass.

4. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'll borrow my Brother-in-Law's IXOS 1002 interconnect and compare the difference. The Pioneer can be set to Direct with no processing, and also has Bass management controls (although I currently bypass these)

P.S. LOL @ you avatar of Treguard, wasn't Knightmare just the best show on TV! :clap:

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    It has always held a bizarre fascination for me. :)