Need help with my current space and speaker selection! (KEF Q series)

sabitbol

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to thank everyone in advance with any help they can chime in.

I currently have a Denon AVRX-3100W receiver which I will be upgrading to AVRX-4700h. I also currently have 2 KEF Q750 tower speakers and the Q650c center.

I am interested in upgrading my system into a 3D Dolby Atmos system, problem is my living room has 20-24ft ceilings. So instead of having my Q50a speakers face up on my towers and have them potentially bounce off the ceilings (since my ceilings are so high) I was going to mount them on the wall and have them face down.

does anyone have any issues with me doing this or perhaps a better idea to accomplish immersive 3d sound given the lay out of my living room?

I am going to post pictures of my current living room so if anyone has any ideas please feel free to chime in.

I've done ton of research but I am still not 100% sold on this idea. This is what Id like to do as of now:

Add 2 Q50a speakers same wall as the tv, high position facing them down.
Add 2 Q50a speakers on each side of the sofa on the side walls and have them facing down.
Add either 2 more Q50a behind the sofa to act like surround back speakers, or maybe would I be better off trying to wall mount Q150 or Q350 book shelf speakers for the back surround speakers?

I've posted a few pictures to get an idea of my living room space, and what Id like to do.

Any suggestions would be very helpful, thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 60a.jpg
    60a.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 159
I do apologize for the quality of my images, I am deployed over seas and are the only pictures I can find on my phone, I wanted to get this all settled and ordered before my return home.

Welcome to the Forum.

Your ceiling is too high for Atmos upfiring speakers, the ideal height of which should be between 8 and 14 feet. The Q50a have keyhold fittings on the underneath so that they can also be used on the walls and I would say that would be the best position given the design of your room. Keep the height the same and position them at around 10-12 feet depending on how high the doorways are. The UniQ design of the speakers will give a good audio dispersion and fill the space with sound.

Welcome to the Forum.

Your ceiling is too high for Atmos upfiring speakers, the ideal height of which should be between 8 and 14 feet. The Q50a have keyhold fittings on the underneath so that they can also be used on the walls and I would say that would be the best position given the design of your room. Keep the height the same and position them at around 10-12 feet depending on how high the doorways are. The UniQ design of the speakers will give a good audio dispersion and fill the space with sound.

Awesome thank you so much!
Do you think the q50a can handle being used as back surround sound speakers as well? Or should I manage somehow either mounting Q150s or Q350s behind the sofa or have them on stands sitting on each side of the sofa?

The surrounds should be placed just above a seated head height so I would have either the Q150s or 350s on stands or wall mountings in the correct place. You have to ensure a good separation between the base speakers and the Atmos domain.

The new 4700 will give you nine channels out of the box so a 5.1.4. and 7.1.4 with the addition of an external amp.

Awesome thank you so much!
Do you think the q50a can handle being used as back surround sound speakers as well? Or should I manage somehow either mounting Q150s or Q350s behind the sofa or have them on stands sitting on each side of the sofa?
The q50a are very suitable as surrounds. No problem to wall mount near your sofa

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom