1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with MJacoustics pro 50

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tan1415, Apr 5, 2003.

1. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Man this is a small cute subwoofer. Everyone is happy with it's size and looks.
    Last time I tested the Visonik sub10(www.visonik.nl)
    I almost got an hernia. Not with this sub.

I set up this sub. Between TV and righthanded frontspeaker. It's connected via LFE and the volume on the sub is up to 2/3-3/4 of the way.The other speakers, even my fronts(kef q50) are set to small.
    I am not sure if I have setup the sub correctly...but I am not terribly impressed with it.
    Certainly not compared to the Visonik.

I tried it out on SPR and U571...and the think I find is that it lacks the serious punch. The bass is just not as loud or earthshuddering.
    Esspecially with SPR in the last battle it wasn't able to increase in bass weight when the Tigers slowly closed in.(at first you hear the low rumble..but when they are close..with the other sub it's like you're in the middle of it)
    Also i found out with the other sub...I end up with a headache when I use it full out. Not with this sub(is it a plus?)
    Of course getting a headache when watching movies it's not smart, but when i tone it down..i know it has the reserves to go much lower.

With this sub...when I turn the volume 100% it's not that great a difference.

I guess it's unfair to compare this sub to the Visonik who's bigger(10") and has a bigger amp too.

What does this mean? The Pro is setup wrong or is it not what I am looking for?

Hopefully someone canb help me out..

2. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i had the same thoughts with the velodyne vx 10 i have recently bought volume set at max the sound was very poor, this sub is hardley wallet busting at £200 but i expected more than this, anyway i started by playing bass heavy cd!s and after only 5 hrs it is starting to perform a lot better volume turned down to about 60% all i would suggest is you try this, the mj gets good reviews so it might just need a bit running in.

3. willems

willems

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the pro 50 lacks serious bass kick but dont forget its a sub for small rooms. its a small box with a small driver and only 50 watts of power, dont expect MASSIVE amounts of bass.

i own a pro50 btw and am very happy with it. i got mine for music not movies otherwise a velodyne would have been purchased

4. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really looking for a movie sub first.
    This sub is a loaner so it's well run in.

movie bass is more important than musicality to me.

I have connected the sub via LFE. And didn't think that I needed to concern myself with the frequency control...just put it on full. Because the LFE will only get the lowlevel signal. So like only below the 80hz?!?

I have a feeling now that with my taste and needs I have to buy either a more powerfull or bigger sub(or both?)
    I'll try to set it up a little differently...see if it gets better.
    I am afraid that my comparison is just to unfair...expecting to much from the pro 50.

5. jag77

jag77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I once auditioned a pro50 too. I was rather disappointed after listening to it. I had owned a Paradigm PS-1000 and an REL Strata2 prior, so I knew what tight/boomy/deep/distorted bass was like.

Somehow, when the sub is playing at low listening volumes with the mains playing, its deficiencies don't quite reveal themselves(perhaps masked by the mains playing at full whack). Its only when the sub is playing solely by itself, it reveals its weaknesses. IMO, I felt it was more suited for bass light music, not for movies. I could detect loads of harmonic distortion, and at my listening volumes, its was heavily distorted and running out of steam.

In the end, I dropped the pro50 and bought a REL Storm3........great sub, but an unfortunate twist of fate revealed it to be less than recently heightened expectations and decided to go for a SVS instead.

For real HT, the Pro50 just couldn't hack it. The REL's Storm3 was better, but less than spectacular. The hardest bit a subwoofer faces is making 20hz audible cleanly. Try it.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    That's rather like complaining that a Nissan Micra isn't fast enough and buying an Alfa 156 instead.

Nobody in their right mind expects a tiny budget subwoofer to hit 20Hz cleanly.

There are a lot of forum members who frequently sing the praises of the Pro 50 but who have all gone silent now. How about some comments from other "delighted" owners but preferably those that haven't replaced theirs with a Velodyne HGS18 ;)

7. jag77

jag77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By no means that the pro50 is not a good sub. Much to the contrary, the pro50 would be a fantastic music only or low volume sub.

Just want to re-illustrate the pro50 is itself a fantastic sub, but HT isn't going to be its forte.

Being realistic, HT would be stressing the pro50 abit too much.

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As a happy owner of a reference 100 (the pro 50s slightly bigger brother) I was staying out of this thread as I had no intention of getting into a p1$$ing contest.

All I can say is that I'm more than happy with it for use in music & home cinema. If people want to do damage to their internal organs then a more powerful sub is right for them. The ref 100 produces vast amounts of bass for a small box - more than enough for my 20x15 lounge. Perhaps I like things that are subtle rather than in your face (having said that to continue Ian's car metaphor I did change a peugeot 306 diesel for a Seat Leon Cupra so maybe I don't)

9. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Still waiting for my Ref 100, doh. :(

I agree about the Pro 50 - a fine sub capable of only modest output. Still... I think even something like a REL Q50 would be superior if space were not a major consideration.

MuFu.

10. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As another owner of the PRO 50, although not having posted on it before, I'll add my 2d's worth.

I find that it is perfectly O.K., especially for music, where it adds about the right amount of weight to the AVIs that I am using as the main speakers. In my room it is quite capable of producing enough LF effects to make you feel slightly queasy on films that have that sort of sound track, admittedly that won't be at 20Hz though, probably 35-40 Hz.

Messing about with BFD and true RTA the other day I was surprised to find that it can produce 20Hz with quite low distortion - unfortunately at too low a level to actually hear!

I was considering buying an HGS18, because it would be nice to be able to reproduce VLF accurately, but I've decided that it offers much too poor VFM. >£2k for one and half octaves which aren't used that much in most music is a lot of money.

I would say its a pretty good sub for music but no good if you want to put cracks in your ceiling.

Bill

11. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Answers helps a lot. Agree that it just doesn't deliver the SPL I was looking for. Still pretty much a subwoofer noob. And learning all the time.

My second choice was actually the Quake. The downfiring version.
    I think it's even smaller, but with 100 watts instead of the 50 watts by Pro 50. Will this sub also suffer from the same problems as the Pro 50? Not enough SPL in the lower frequencies. Or will the extra power help?

BTW I am not looking at the HGS18. The size and more importantly the price is out of my range.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I don't think that the extra power of the Quake will make much difference. To make a significance difference in a box that size you need an amplifier many times more powerful. The Velodyne SPL 800 will go lower and louder but it is nearly three times more expensive as well.

If you want more power you may have to look at a larger box.

13. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I cancelled my Reference 100 order in the end. I always knew I'd be slightly disappointed going from a Q100E and the trade off to save a little space simply wasn't worth it.

Ended up buying a BKElec SDA-XLS10 which is only 350x350x350 yet very capable of a fairly clean 20Hz at high SPL. Now I can't even imagine ever considering the Ref100 (which would have cost a full £110 more, even after a discount!). Luckily 3 of these beauties popped up on the BKE website, and a month of waiting for the MJA sub (!) had given me time to reconsider.

I agree. Almost shakes the house to pieces yet I still can't hear a damn thing!!! :eek: ;)

MuFu.

14. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so i presume a sub has to be run in........like speakers?

15. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I think you could call that black thing that moves backwards and forwards in the sub a speaker! So yes;)

16. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so whats the ideal running in time?

17. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Don't really no.Some say 24hours some say longer.

18. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i am certainly no sub expert, i had pdr8, then tried the m/short sub from richers, which had a larger driver and cabinet,but to me the pdr8 sounded better for av and had tighter bass, so exchanged m/s back to the pdr8, i have since sold pdr8 and am awaiting delivery of vx10 how this compares to either of the above i cant say at this moment in time.

has anyone done a mjpro50 vs vx10 comparison???

19. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Mick what do you think of the vx10 was it a upgrade?