need help with installing car amplifier

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by silly trucker, Mar 14, 2006.

1. silly trucker

silly trucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: I have recently bought an amplifier (CX475, may?something) and could do with some help. Does anybody have a wiring diagram or can tell me how to wire the speakers and sub-woofer. It is a 4 channel amp and I have one set of speakers and 1 sub. I am having trouble with powering all 3 at the same time. I'm only using 1 rca lead but have space for more than 1. At the moment, I have the sub bridged with the speakers on 2 channels with the 1 rca. Any ideas?

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    You need either a second pair of phonos or run your existing pair into a 'Y' adapter which you can pick up from Maplin, CPC etc, connect this into inputs marked 1/2,3/4.Connect your stereo speakers to channels 1+2 and your subwoofer (assuming it's a single voice coil) to the bridged terminals on ch 3+4 (they should be clearly marked).Next set your crossover switches up appropriately.

3. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When it arrives i'm installing a Pure Power 600w amp to power 2 x 12" subs.
    but my old fiesta's radion does not have an electric arial to switch the amp on with.
    Is there a way of wiring a switch on the dash to manually switch it on, do i take another small wire from the battery to a switchand do it that way???
    or
    will using high level inputs is this switch it on.

i will be bridging the channels to create 2 x 300w outputs

any other jems of wisdom will be greatly recived.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    There are several ways to achieve this,one being to insert a bridge between the +ve and the remote terminals and fit a simple inline switch here.

5. paul_mcneil

paul_mcneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    sillytrucker -

disconnect the sub until its wired properely, tri-wiring (how you currently have it) is likely putting too much load on the amp and may damage it. Either get a pair of y-connectors as suggested, or alternatively;
    1) check if the amp has a setting for the sub channels to take their input from the other channels,
    2) chweck if your head unit has a second pair of preouts (rca's) so that you can adjust the level between the speakers and sub individually

dick dastardly -

first of all, what head unit is it?? it may have a remote wire but just not have a pin/wire in the plug, if it definitely doesn't then;
    You can just connect it to the accessory wire from the ignition (the wire that goes live to switch your head unit on), however, bear in mind that the amp will be on every time the key is (unless you fit a switch in line with this wire so you can override when you have your key on without the engine to save killing the battery)
    if you want to go one step further there are interfaces available that give a 12v output when they detect audio

6. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lynx & Paul McNiel
    Kind of what I expected but its always good to hear it form someone who has got their hands dirty doing this stuff.

As a newbie to all things car audio i may be back for more Gems of Wisdom

Thanks again
    DD

7. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys another newbie style question.
    The amp i'm buying is a four channel which has two input one for front & one for rear if i want to bridge them i take it i will need to give the same input to both so it can output both?

I'm lucky and been given two sets of speakers one lot which i was going to use in conjuntion with my existing crap manufacturers speaker two 300mm subs in it own box totally unbranded and guessing max output to be around 300watts.

the other is two pioneer 250watt speakers and a Zues 300watt sub already bounted on a solid parcel shelf.

My feeling the second option is the better of the two so can i bridge both the front channels to to produce the needed 300watts? see crude pdf diagrame.
    :rolleyes:

Attached Files: