Need help with in ceiling speakers

t34

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all I recentely came across a pair of cambridge audio c155 in-ceiling speakers to add on for the atmos effects but when ive had a look above my ceiling which is made of plaster board the gap to floor above is about 2 inches so the speakers will not fit and would be hanging out around an inch. Any suggestions to fill the gap between the speakers and ceiling?

There are some MDF car speaker spacers available, but not sure if they come in a depth of 1", though you could get smaller ones and and glue them together. You can also get angled ones if you wanted to point them more towards the seating. Check the internal and external diameters to make sure they fit if you think they'd be suitable.

It'll look a bit gash in my opinion if you do that.

Why not make a feature of it and install a section of floating ceiling. You can create a nice lighting effect around the edge as well then.

There are some MDF car speaker spacers available, but not sure if they come in a depth of 1", though you could get smaller ones and and glue them together. You can also get angled ones if you wanted to point them more towards the seating. Check the internal and external diameters to make sure they fit if you think they'd be suitable.
I had a look at the spacers you suggested and they seem like the best option I have seen Ill have a closer look to see the sizes, The speaker width is 240mm

Could You suggest anywhere or anyone who could make me a set in the uk preferably Scotland what type of person would do this? A carpenter or a joiner?

I got mine from ebay, and with the speaker sat on them in the correct orientation, drilled holes in them for the screws to go through. Mine are in a soffit that goes around the room so I could screw directly into wood. You may need to insert some fixings or glue some wood on the other side of the plasterboard in the ceiling gap to get a good fixing.

T
I got mine from ebay, and with the speaker sat on them in the correct orientation, drilled holes in them for the screws to go through. Mine are in a soffit that goes around the room so I could screw directly into wood. You may need to insert some fixings or glue some wood on the other side of the plasterboard in the ceiling gap to get a good fixing.
The largest I could see are 200mm, I've made some rings out of draught excluder rubber tabe and I'm going to "try" fixing a ring made of card around the outside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    658 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 78

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom