sieade245

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Haven't been on here for a while as my system has been working fine for years. But...I've taken the plunge and started to upgrade to 4K. Here is my system at the moment:

Screens:
Samsung UE55MU6470 TV (just upgraded from a Pioneer 436XDE..14 years service)
BenQ W1070 projector (1080P)

AVR:
Marantz NR1504 AVR (NR1506 in the post for 4K HDCP2.2)

Sources:
Xbox One X (just upgraded from Xbox One)

The current setup is:
Xbox --> AVR --> HDMI 1080p splitter -->> TV
......................................................-->> Projector

This all works fine. The splitter only does 1080P max. My old TV was only 720P so I've had my Xbox set to 720P. The same 720P signal appears on the TV and the projector, although I only have 1 turned on. The AVR handles all of the sound from the XBOX. The old TV was not a smart TV so it was just used as a screen.

The new setup. The Samsung TV has all the sources I need eg Netflix, Steamlink, Plex etc. I used to use the xbox for all of this but now I don't have to. Obviously this is no good for feeding the projector though. The xbox can still feed both through the AVR, I've currently got it set to 1080P mode.

So here's the problem and what I want to do:
1. Use the Xbox in 4K mode.
2. Have this running through the AVR
3. Split the signal as before
4. Downscale one of the outputs to 1080P for the projector
5. Use an ARC link from the TV to the AVR (via the splitter/ scaler)
6. Must support HDCP2.2 for 4K netflix when I'm using the Xbox as a source
7. Must support HDR10 for future projector upgrade to 4K

I've been looking at previous threads and on Amazon etc but I can't find a suitable splitter/scaler in my budget of <£100 ideally around the £50 mark would be ideal.

I realise there is a much much simpler solution to simply use SPDIF optical from the TV to the AVR but there is a reason I would like to use ARC. The old TV didn't have any speakers, so the AVR did all of the sound. The new TV does have speakers. Currently, if I remove the splitter and projector from the setup, and just have the TV plugged straight into the HDMI out of the AVR, the TV recognises when the AVR is turned on and when it is not. It will output sound from its own speakers until I turn the AVR on, then it mutes itself and sends the audio to the AVR automatically. I really like this function. One of the reasons I upgraded was to save on power usage, my old plasma TV used between 300-400W, Xbox around 100W and AVR 50W. I use solar charged batteries in my house at night and this 600W was the minimum power consumption to watch Netflix. Now the new TV can do all of this for just over 100W so I get a lot more battery power.

Obviously when I'm having a "proper" night in, the power consumption is not a factor, but my wife uses the TV during the day a lot and that extra power use affects the battery charge times, electricity usage, bills etc so its great to be able to use a lot less power than before.

I plan to upgrade the BenQ W1070 to the W1700 4K projector in time, but right now I can't afford it, hence why I would like to be able to downscale one of the outputs. If this just cannot be done at this price point, I would be happy with just splitting and keeping ARC for now, and I'll keep the Xbox on 4K mode and switch it myself to 1080P mode when I'm using the projector which is normally only at weekends.

I did consider upgrading the AVR to one with 2 HDMI outputs, but I like the small size of the 15xx series and I don't think even the better 16xx models have 2 HDMI outputs so I went with a small upgrade to the NR1506 to get 4K functionality.

Another thing I've considered is that if I'm only using 4K on the TV for now, it is effectively its own source (apart from xbox games) so I don't really need the Xbox in 4K mode for most things and I could leave it in 1080P mode for now which should feed both TV and projector successfully...as long as I can crack the ARC splitter issue...It would be nice to have it in 4K mode for games though.

And yet another thing I considered is that I still have my old xbox one. I could use this as a single source just for the projector for now, and use SPDIF to feed sound to the AVR, instead of HDMI as before. This would mean having 2 xboxes, but I've got the space and only one would be on at any time...not the ideal solution though I'd like a neat setup. Also, I'd have to keep swapping the controller pads over between them and the old xbox is not as powerful for games.

I've also thought about taking the AVR out of the XBOX chain. So splitting the HDMI signal at the xbox output, then feeding projector and TV (on a separate HDMI input, keeping the ARC link to AVR). Possibly I could extract the dolby signal and send it to the AVR somewhere in this chain (at the splitter??) This should give me AVR sound for TV and projector, there could be a latency/lip sync issue there though I'd have to try it.

Dolby HD would be a nice to have but I can't have my system loud (terraced house) so I doubt I'd ever notice the difference between AC3 and anything higher.

My projector does not have 4K and I doubt supports HDCP2.2. This could be a problem. I don't want 4K being changed to 1080P because of this.

SO..I've written a lot. I realise there are multiple ways to do this. I've done a few drawings to try and work everything out.. what do you guys think?

Cheers, Si

Just to add. Still thinking about this and thought of another possibility:
XBOX-->>splitter--->>AVR<<--arc-->>TV
........................---->>projector

I think this way, I can use the Xbox through the AVR (in 4K/ HDR/ Dolby HD) and TV, whilst still having the ARC link in place for when I'm using the TV as source, as no splitter is between the AVR and the TV.

And on the other hand, when I'm using the projector, the sound would still also still be going to the AVR because of where the splitter is in the chain. The TV would be switched off, so it doesn't matter what happens after this point.

So I'm thinking all I need is a suitable splitter/scaler which supports HDCP2.2 and can downscale one of the outputs to 1080P for the projector. No ARC required. The only issue would be if were to add another source, I wouldn't be able to send this to the projector.

ARC - can be tricky enough with a single Display and quickly becomes unworkable with two Display devices.

Video Processor - we would normally supply/install the HDFury Vertex to cover all of your bases, though it is way outside of your indicated budget.

Manual toggle - I suspect simply toggling the one UHD capable Source between 2160p/HDCP2.2 and 1080p/HDCP1.4 is going to be your best option.

Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe. I'm still waiting for my 4K AVR to arrive so at the moment, eveything is connected as it was through my old 1080Ps splitter with the Xbox One X set to 1080P mode.

As I'm feeling adventurous, (and I cant' afford the Vertex already identified this one would do the job for more £££), I'm going to try some cheaper ones on Amazon. I'll probably order a few and keep the one that works...if any of them do the job that is.

I'll be sure to post back in a few weeks with the results.

Hi again guys. Just an update. My 4K AVR arrived today and thankfully, it correctly accepts the 4K HDR signal from my Xbox One X. Now I just need to split this. I've given up on ARC solution as I just cannot find one suitable and after what Joe said, I'll stick to the TOSlink for now.

However, I've done some more research and a few people with a similar setup to me on Reddit recommended the following splitter:

https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-Prop...WF31/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Reading the reviews, a few guys are using them successfully on Xbox one splitting to 4K and 1080P simultaneously when gaming. Not sure if Netflix protected content will work but even if it reduces to 1080P when projector is turned on, that will do just fine. Only problem is, I couldn't find it in the UK but you can order direct from Amazon.com. With import fees and shipping, it came to just over £50 which was my budget. It won't be here for a while and I might be offshore for a few weeks...but I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi Guys. Well good news. The box was waiting for me when I got home today. Only a week shipped from USA not bad. It took about 5 minutes to install. I have the Xbox One X set to 4K UHD. This goes into my Marantz 4K AVR. Then it goes into the Prophecy unit where it splits between my 4K TV and my 1080P projector. I left the DIP switches to their default position which is full 4K HDR.

AND IT ALL WORKS!!!

TV still gets 4K HDR signal and the projector gets 1080P non HDR signal. The unit does say it cannot "convert" HDR to non HDR so it just ignores it for the 1080P output. The projector has to be connected to output 1. I did play around with some DIP switches, as I thought initially I would need to set auto learning EDID. This did not work, the Xbox detected that my although I was 4K capable, I did not have HDR and some other stuff. Using the default DIP switch setting corrects this problem.

I don't have to change any settings on Xbox, Prophecy, TV etc. I can also have both the TV and projector on together and they both work and the system is happy to continue if one is switched off. One of the reviews said they had to turn the Xbox on and off again but I have not experienced this, maybe because my unit has later firmware or possibly because I'm using an AVR in the chain.

Netfliix HDCP UHD HDR content works fine. Pictures below.

One thing to note. It comes with a USA power adaptor but it only needs 5V DC. My old setup used a NEET splitter which has 5V input, I am simply using the NEET UK adaptor as it fits perfectly. They have also just released a new version same as this but runs off USB power instead (didn't know until after I had ordered)

IMG_1848.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG
IMG_1852.JPG
IMG_1856 (1).JPG
IMG_1860.JPG
IMG_1862.JPG
IMG_1863.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1866.JPG
    IMG_1866.JPG