Need help with everything.....

twisteddeeds

Standard Member
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this, this is my first post, and please excuse me for the length of this thread, and if i have posted in the wrong place i apologise.

Ok, Im planning on building my system up and i am currently estimating an overall budget of £3000. My idea would be to make it as future proof as possible, I know this is not the best comment as technology does get outdated quickly.... anyhow here we go...

I am currently looking at the onkyo 606 amp, mainly due to the features and price of £400. but im open to any other suggestions im going to be hooking this up to dvd/tv/blu ray/360/ and still have the option of choping and changing hardware in the future. with the same amp.

The main thing would be speakers, being a noob at this, I dont know really where to start, as i said i want to be mostly future proof so ill opt for 7.1 setup

my room dimensions are 15ft x 10ft
wooden floors, wooden panels on walls (dont know if it would make a difference but ill add that anyhow)
im looking for a good balance in low volume quality and movies/music. and still have good quality when the volume is turned up.

Ideally im looking for floorstanders for the front but dont know where to start lol theres just so many options. and i would take it that if you buy a brand its better to stick with a brand mostly to get the right balance in sound? sorry as i said i would like just as much advice as possible im sure there are a lot of people starting off in my position.

Living in Nortern Ireland can be difficult finding audio retailers who will stock a good selection of brands which means i am really looking for as much help on these forums as possible so i can order online, or through the limited retailers i have locally.

Again thank you for taking the time to read this any help would be appreciated

rwniel

£3,000 is a pretty decent budget? Is that including your sources, or just amp/surround speakers? How important is music? Most av amps/receivers aren't that great with music, so you might want to consider models such as the Arcam Diva AVR280 (which can be found for around £600 these days), or perhaps even the Cambridge Audio 640R (~ £500). Alternatively an av amp with pre-out sockets so you have the option to add a separate amp purely for handling music (- and connected to the front left/right stereo speakers) - the Onkyo SR606 doesn't have pre-outs; I've not had a chance to test it personally but it is supposed to be more musical compared to the earlier model it's based on. Naturally it's not been out very long, so discussion and reviews are only now starting to trickle out. Otherwise you could also consider say the Yamaha RX-V1800 for example.

Ok, so the Arcam and Cambridge Audio don't have hd in-built decoding, output of analogue video sources over hdmi or LPCM over hdmi but at straight dolby digital and DTS decoding they're really good and particularly musical. The lack of those bells and whistles means more money is spent elsewhere. For blu-ray you could then allie one of those with a standalone player with multi-channel phono outputs (with the player doing the decoding) and hook it up that way.

My other suggestion would be to stick with 5.1 surround sound for now; it depends on your seating position to some extent since it otherwise means accomodating an additional two speakers behind you. You could always upgrade later.

Speakers are always a tricky suggestion as they are going to sound very different; that's where it needs carefuly auditioning to match your own particular tastes/perceptions. But your budget would allow for say the Monitor Audio RS6 AV package ~ £1900. They're fantastically detailed and work well with both music and movies. Floor-standers are better if you can accomodate them although some people prefer more descrete and style-orientated options such as the Kef KEF KHT3005se ~ £1,000. The 3005se's work better with music than other KHT models. Either would be a nice match with the Yamaha I think, with plenty left over for cables, intereconnects and additional stands if required.

Depending on how it's furnished, wooden floors and wall panels might end up resonating a fair bit so consider something that can break up the sound like a few rugs dotted around the place. A certain amount of experimenting will be required.

Robert

twisteddeeds

Standard Member
thanks for the reply rwniel, the budget would be just for the amp and surround setup, and cables/connections the room im going to use just has a 3 seater sofa and thats it loads of room, the sofa is positioned right in the centre of the room so i have plenty of room all round.

I would mostly be using the system for movies and tv with the odd blast of music so it wouldnt be much of a problem.

I was thinking of getting a 5.1 system and adding to it to make it 7.1 but wasnt sure about the speaker side weither the "extra" speakers would blend in with the 5.1 system.

styling wise it doesnt really matter im more after quality than looks, although some sort of styling would be easier on the eye. I like the look of more classical styling than Contemporary

rwniel

Most Av packages also have extra rear speakers available in order to upgrade them to either 6.1 or 7.1. The Monitor Audio have the RSFX's for example ~ £400 for the pair in a wide range of finishes.

But also have a look in the Speakers Power Buy Special Offers part of the forum at the SVS range of speakers; perhaps the SVS-01 package with the PC-Plus 20-39 sub for example ~ £1,000 (for a 5.1 system with an upgrade to 7.1 ~ £150).

Robert

jet3d

if you have the room and you like you music, i would personally recommend keeping your old stereo amp and speakers (if you have them!) or getting a seperate amp and speakers for music. i have yet to see any reviews giving surround amps good score for stereo music ( there may be some and im sure people will point them out) but i think that the onkyo isnt one of them (i do have an onkyo by the way!).

my 2 cents...

twisteddeeds

Standard Member
thanks for the help jet, i have an old technics stereo SB-EH60, with a built in amp.. its about 10 yrs old now but i was thinking of using that with the stereo speakers but dont know lol

twisteddeeds

Standard Member
Being a noob lol, i was wondering if i was to use the technics, how would i go about connecting it to the fronts, without it affecting the surround setup? meaning would there be any way to share floorstanders between the onkyo and the technics without them being wired together "the stereo and onkyo"

would using the SB-EH60 conflict with the surround amp

again i appologise if i ask silly questions...

True-Blue

Wooden walls and floor, sounds like a potentially bright and hard sounding room.

I'm not going to recommend specific products*, but I'd recommend a home audition. It's very difficult to guess what equipment will sound like in your own room, especially one as you describe. Kit that sounds too smooth and restrained in a dedicated demonstration room may sound just right in your room.

*other than an SVS Subwoofer (as brightness/hardness is more an issue at higher than lower frequencies)

jet3d

Being a noob lol, i was wondering if i was to use the technics, how would i go about connecting it to the fronts, without it affecting the surround setup? meaning would there be any way to share floorstanders between the onkyo and the technics without them being wired together "the stereo and onkyo"

would using the SB-EH60 conflict with the surround amp

again i appologise if i ask silly questions...

if you are going down that route i would personally keep the systems seperate, and also the 605/605 doesnt have pre-outs. for that you would need the 705 i think off the top of my head.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom