1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with DIY Projector screen!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jnr, Dec 16, 2004.

1. jnr

jnr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just about to buy a Sanyo PLV-Z1 & I want to make my own Screen. The PJ will be about 9 feet away from the screen. Can anyone tell me what would be the ideal size screen to get a shrp image in 16.9?. Also Can I use an MDF board painted white/with Black boaders or would it be better to use fabric stretched over a frame.....Any Suggestions Greatly app, as I am new to this game.

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have a look in the Projection screens section of these forums. There are many previous posts about homemade screens. From what I remember about cloth Vs paint, there isnt a specific answer as it depends on the cloth/paint used.

Use the Projection calculator on www.projectorcentral.com to find out what screen sizes are possible with various throw lengths.

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Hi jnr,

The screen in my cinema is homemade. Once you have decided the size, then a simple frame is made of 4x2 wood for the correct size (allowing 2 inches around the edge for a border). I bought proper screen material from www.ellie.co.uk, and stretched it over the frame and stapled in place. I know people also use black out material as a cheaper alternative.

The best border I found was 2" flok tape from www.nexnix.co.uk, perfect for the job.

4. jnr

jnr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanx, for the info about the screen........I have a dillemma, I cant choose between buying the Sanyo plv-z1 (£450) or the Epson EMP-TW10 (£630)......What do u guys reckon is the best in terms of : best sharp image, cheapest replacement lamp or just overall value for money in the long term. If any of these pjs become "discontinued" , is it easy to buy the lamps???

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    My screen is home made as well. I used 69mm x 18mm wood to make a frame that was 84ins wide by 47.25 tall (16:9). I initialy used blackout cloth which has a gain of appriximately unity, but when I upgraded my projector to one with less lumens, I bought some 1.2 gain screen material from Ellie.

Initialy the screen was to be temporary until I knew what screen size etc I might need, but I was so pleased with it that I kept it for 3 years. All I did when I upgraded the pj 18months ago was to stretch and staple the new material over it.

Blackout cloth is about £5 per linear yard, and is about 56ins tall. My BO cloth screen cost me less than £30 including screws and staples. The screen material cost me 3 times that when I upgraded. There are some pics on my website if you're interested.

The screen has lasted me almost 5 years and I have no plans to change it. I don't have a border on mine because the screen wall is black carpet.

Gary.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I just use a "Black Out Roller Blind" which Focus DIY and other stores sell. The material is heavy and opaque, and has tiny dimples which help reflect the light. You can attach it to the ceiling and roll it down when required. Mine will do a 92" 16:9 picture when fully extended.

7. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    gary what improvements did you notice when moving to the ellie screen material or was it just brightness?

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    Actual visible difference with a movie being projected was just brightness. The eye is very 'forgetful' of white and colour, so whites pretty much will always look white - even on the comparably 'off white' blackout cloth (or a grey screen as another example).

The overall improvement was not in relation to the cost - it wasnt seven times better than the blackout cloth (£15 to £105 IIRC). The difference was negligable really other than the brightness.

Gary.

9. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had a similar dilema re getting a second hand projector or going for the epson new. I was looking at the panasonic pt300. In the end I went for the epson.
    I don't know enough about any other projector but can highly recomend this (search the forum for other enthusiastic views).

The main reason for my post though is the price. I picked mine up new with a screen for 500. I've just done a quick search on dealtime and you can pick them up for under 500 (less than the 630 you've mentioned above), so if its price your looking at the initial cost would be about the same.

Also with regards to ongoing costs (lamp life and replacement cost) I think (but am not sure) the epson would be cheapest at 4000 hrs in theatre black and about 100-150 for the bulb.

Decisions ?