1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help with Computer hardware

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by 50/50, Mar 8, 2003.

1. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Pioneer DVD rom as the main drive, and my yahama CDRW writer as the slave, both on the same IDE cable.

I have got a "RAID" motherboard that has 4 separate IDE sockets. (IDE 1,2,3&4)

My question is, can I connect the dvd writer to IDE2 and CD writer to IDE3. If I can, how do i set up the raid bios ?

Advice would be appreciated,

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi m8, I have a Raid mobo and I use 3 seperate IDE sockets. The first thing you need to do is enable the Raid in your bios, you should also have a driver on a floppy or CD that came with the mobo (if not you can get the driver from the mobo manufacturer's site)

Once the Raid is enabled you need to ensure the device using the Raid IDE slot is set to Master. The actual RAID bios is only setup when you use 2 HDDs or more, with a single device using it you do not need to configure anything.

I assume you know how to go into the motherboard bios and enable RAID, if not this is what you do :

When the PC is initially switched on (or if you restart) press and hold the "Delete" key during the boot-up. You should then be viewing numbered options, the RAID enable option should be on the advanced features. After enabling make sure you save the bios.

What mobo is it, I might have the same one in which case things become easier.

3. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its the Abit KT7A-RAID using windows xp.

I beleive you dont need to install any driver for the raid controller or service packs under xp platform, but Im not sure.

I hope i dont have to "flash" my bios.. I have heard many horror storys about when it goes wrong:eek:

but If I do, which one to I use ?

4. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've used that motherboard.

You can't connect ATAPI devices to the RAID controller IDE ports (3&4), only hard disks. So basically the DVD writer and CD writer will have to stay on IDE1 or IDE2.

The alternative is to move your hard disk(s) to the RAID controller ports, but moving the boot hard disk is a bit risky. The Highpoint RAID controller appears to Windows XP as a SCSI controller which means if you move your boot hard disk to the RAID ports you'll end up needing to edit the BOOT.INI file.

In short its not for the faint hearted...