Need help with choosing new Mini DV camcorder

GavinH

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to purcahse a new digital camcorder, but am a little unsure which model to go for. My budget is somewhere in the region of £500 - £700 for the camera, although if it is towards the top end of this range, there will be less available for the required accessories...

I have narrowed the choice down to the following:
1. JVC GR-DV4000
2. Canon MVX 150i
3. Sony DCR-TRV33
4. Sony DCR-PC105

I have little experience with filming, so initially the camcorder will be used in "point and click" mode, however, things may change as I progress with the camcorder.

The main reason for the purchase is to take the camcorder on a snowboarding holiday, so it will be used outdoors a lot, for action shots. Also, size/shape is a factor as it needs to go into a back pack, and the smaller the camcorder, the more room for padding...

...Oops, didn't finish writing the post.

I would like to know if there will be a noticable difference in picture quality between the models I have listed? I understand the the two Sony's use a high quality lense, but the specs for the other two also suggest that their lenses are good... is the sony lense better?

It seems that one of the key differences between the two Sony's are the manual override features. Does anyone have experience with using things like manual zoom, manual exposure etc? Is it really useful?

Aesthetically, I like the look of the JVC, but I don't want to buy it for this reason alone - if the other models offer a better deal.

Does anyone know of little features I should take into account, for example,
- battery life,
- ease of holding/ease of use,
- poor menu systems?

For someone buying a camcorder in this range - what are the main things they should look for? For example, I am looking for image quality, trade off between cam size and lcd size (i.e. small camera is handy, but only 2.5 inch screen), aesthetics, accessory shoe (I assume this is what allows you to attach a better mic etc... correct me if I am wrong) and possibly manual focus, although I do not know how much I will need this.

Thanks for any help,

Gavin

The TRV33 & PC105 share the same lens & CCD AFAIK and both record an anamorphic widescreen image.

Try both in Jessops and see which handles best.

TRV33 is not too easy for manual control, but is great for point & shoot.

Cheers,

so do you think that the picture quality from the two Sony's will be the same? Also, does anyone know how the picture quality of the Sony compares with the Canon/JVC?

Or is it the case that these camcorders will all be very similar, and it is the features that seperates them?

Ta, Gav

The TRV33 is one of the best mid range DV cameras for picture performance.

I think mine is superb.

The wide mode is essential

MartingImber, thanks,

do you know whether or not the Canon and the JVC record widescreen images?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom