1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with choice of sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Puzzled, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Puzzled

Puzzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, everyone

I need some help in choosing a sub for my system which currently comprises of the following

Denon AVC-A10SE amp
    B&W CDM 7NT front speakers
    B&W CDM CNT centre speaker
    B&W CDM SNT surround speakers

I am looking for a sub around the £800 mark that will complement my system. It will mostly be used for movies but some music as well. The room is of average size for a lounge.

The subs that I have been looking at so far are Rel Q200E, Q400E, Storm III, B&W ASW2000 and Paradigm Servo-15.

I am looking for a sub that not only has plenty of slam but can also go very low (below 20 Hz) and be very loud at the same time.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

James

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Try an MK VX100, or 125. The 100 is tiny and amazign good for it's size, but the 125 will blow your mind.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

3. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you thought of making your own? Check out the following:
    http://www.subwoofers.com/

I currently use a REL Strata, but only for Video, it doesn't go any lower than my main speakers so not much good for music.

I had a listen to the REL Stadium but didn't like it so I've decided to build my own. I've ordered a couple of kits from the above url. The objective is to get a sub that's flat to 20hz with the -3db point at 17.5 hz. The design will be a vented box of about 12 cubic feet (just happens to be the size of the plinth I built to raise my settee level with the screen).

Total price for 2 12" long throw drivers and 2 200watt amps was $714.00 including $165 shipping from the US.

You can download a program from the above site to help you with your design, plus there's plenty of links to other sites of people who've built their own.

4. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

although I've got a smaller install than yours, I think REL and B&W are made for eachother. I've got B&W's 302, 305 and CC3, and bought a REL Q100-E. I never missed the Sub until I bought it. Now I can't live withought it.

The REL just blends into the B&W's (after a couple of days (or a little more, maybe) fine tuning it with volume and cutoff controls), guiving the impression it's not even there........... Until you pull the plug ! ARGH... what an awfull sound !
    Next thing I'll buy 2 603 mains, and an LCR 6 Center. Move my 302's to the surround position, and hang the 305's on the wall behind me as surround back (or is it the other was arround ?) for DTS-ES.

I'll sell the CC3, and live happily ever after [​IMG]

So, although, like I said, my install is smaller (Denon AVR-3801), I recomend REL with B&W's, imagining that your install will be perfect for a Storm... Do you have the possibility of a home-Audition ? I'm sure that would kill all hesitation.

P.S. Be carefull where you place the Sub... They are pretty unstable in small spaces and corners... Mine was put between a table and the Left main, and was great with music, but whenever a killer movie was on, it sounded way too boomy. Now it's in an open space to my right, close to a wall, but away from a corner... sounds perfect !

Good luck, and may the bass be with you !

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

5. Puzzled

Puzzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

ReTrO, I have read a few reviews of the MK VX100 and 125 and while yes they get good reviews im an old fashion type of guy who wants my sub to be big and scary looking even if it doesn't make any difference, but thank you for the suggestions anyway.

GaryC, If you had seen my attempt at building my own sub for my car, you would never suggest I build my own again. For people that are good at that sort of thing it must be great to say that you built your own, but if you had seen my last attempt you wouldn't want to admit it. Thanks but I think I will stick to buying one [​IMG]

Mad Max, Thanks for the reply, Yes I have been thinking about the Storm. I haven't had chance to hear one yet, but from the reviews that I have read they seem to be better for music than films.

I should be getting a demo of a B&W ASW3000 which yes is out of my bugdet a bit, but I have managed to pursuade the gf by buying her more clothes so she it letting me spend more if I want.

On the side note about upgrading to DTS-ES I have a similar idea, I want to buy a pair of CDM 9NTs for the front, move the 7NTs to the rear and move the SNTs to the rear centre channel, but I have to convert my garage into a home cinema room before I can even think about doing that and thats not going to happen until next year.

Thanks for the replies, anyone got any suggestion on the B&W ASW3000 vs REL Storm III battle.

6. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll just a couple more to the mix. I would look at the Monitor Audio ASW210, It will do 22Hz at 115Db! It is very fast and loud. Truthfully, I love British loudspeakers, but have never really been a fan of British subs, but the B&W ASW3000 and the Monitor ASW210 have really won me over. If I weren't already considering SVS powered cylinders I would be tempted to get a pair of either model. I would also consider one of the newer HGS line of Velodyne servo subs. While I haven't heard any of the newer ones....the older servo-15 was downright scary. The new line is advertised as having ruler flat response below 20Hz the amp in all the HGS line is 1250Watts RMS and 3000Watts peak. If you can get your hands on one I would absolutely demo it.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The MK 125 sub. is not a little sub!

It is approx 0.5m x0.5m x0.5m, in size and weighs quite a lot, I can barely lift it up.

A classic sub then!

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

8. Puzzled

Puzzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies,

ReTrO, Sorry I don't know where I got the impression that it was a small sub from.

Simonsez, Those amps sound quite amazing, but thinking about it they may be too much for my room (and neighbours).

I was going to try and listening to a B&W ASW3000 but when my local dealer contacted B&W we were told that they have now discontinued the 2000 & 3000 range of subs. And they are to be replaced with the new ASW2500, which should be out at the end of January hopefully.

So I am going to wait till I can audition one of those as I like the idea of having the same make for all my speakers.

Thanks everyone, now I just have to wait (Im not very good at waiting, so i'll just have to get a new dvd player to tide me over, as my old one is a bit faulty)

James