1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with Cables Please!!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Deeez Nuuutz, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Deeez Nuuutz

Deeez Nuuutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +791
    Hi,

I've just purchased a new (my first) home cinema system which comprises of:

Yamaha RX-V4600
    M&K K17's - Front
    M&K K4's - Rear

I also have Sky + and a Toshiba SD210E DVD player.

I need to know what is the best method of connecting my DVD player for audio - Optical or Coaxial? Is one a better method than the other? and if so, could you explain why? With some idea's of pricing too, please? I have a pretty much open budget (but not silly money lol) so want the best for my system.
    Sky + is only Optical so advice on this would be appreciated.

As for Speaker cable, QED Silver Anniversary is £5.50/M and they do a narrower strand for £3.50/M - apparently, so they tell me at sevenoaks, this is fine to be used for the rears, is this correct or is it better to get the £5.50/M for all speakers? and then there's Van Den Hul and Chord which is also available. Which is the best? What do you guy's advise on experience?

And i need advice on terminal connections i.e: Banana plugs, Any advice on these too please? I've heard of the QED Airloc Terminals - are they worth it and can the only be used with QED cable? Or is there better makes or methods available???

Please help, i'm picking it all up tomorrow morning and need advice before i go as i'm going to be getting all the cables at the same time.

Many thanks,

Best regards,

Tony

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The difference is negligible and there are plenty of threads here that discuss the reasons. The best coaxial cable for the money is probably those sold by Mark Grant in the powerbuy forum here as they are hand made from top quality components and you are paying for cable and not packaging, advertising and retailers margins.

M&K are fairly bright sounding speakers and it's generally recommended that you don't use QED Silver Anniversary or any other silver cable as this just heightens the brightness. If you must buy expensive cable I think that Chord would probably go better with M&K although there are a few threads here about Van Damme cables which are much cheaper but apparantly just as good.[/quote]

Banana plugs are mainly for convenience if you plug and unplug your speakers frequently and I use just the cheap ones. I don't suppose that they have any sonic value whatsoever though.

3. Deeez Nuuutz

Deeez Nuuutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +791
    Many thanks for your reply.

Some interesiting points to think about. Surprised with the Silver Anniversary remark about the brightness seeing as the salesman (and he's the manager) at Audio-T recommended this speaker wire and thats where i'm buying the speakers from. He should know this - just goes to show he's probably only thinking of the cash and thinking about whats going to sound better with my setup HE's just sold me.

Thanks for the input and considering my rooms 18' x 14 you've saved me lots of £££'s in the process. I would have gone ahead with the cables he suggested without knowing.

Is it advisable to use thinner speaker wire for the rear speakers or best to keep it all the same? Some more advice i got from the salesman! lol

Thanks,

4. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Twin and Earth Cable or 3 runs of CAT5 cable would be a good alternative, lot cheaper too. :)