Need help with buying a sub..

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tan1415, Jul 9, 2002.

1. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My setup is basically a Kef front,surround and center.
    The Q series 1.
    I am finally looking to buy a subwoofer.It's all about movies for me.

The choices are:

1)Rel Quake, strange that i can't find any info on this subwoofer on the rel website.

2)Tannoy MX10 sub,new model

3)Monitor Audio ASW 110, Is it strong enough? More music than HT.

4)Yamaha 320 sub, contrasting views

5)Tannoy msub10,old model

6)Rel Q50, tuff to find and pretty expensive

Hope I can find help here.

Thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Add the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 to your list of subs to look at.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have a look at the new Power Buys forum.

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Its the Power Buy advertising executive at work again:p :D

Good idea though and well worth considering.

5. Belly

Belly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look (and test) of the Yamaha 320, I have one of these and it is great with either movies or films!!:)

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Regarding the Yamaha SW320 sub, I'd say it's better that not having a sub at all but there are two things that tell you all you need to know about it:

1. The www.homecinemachoice.com review of it. Their reviews are generally fair and balanced plus they've reviewed quite a lot of subwoofers in their time.

2. The fact that Yamaha quote it's frequency range (claiming that it goes down to 20Hz) at minus 10dB - this is quite ridiculous - in motoring terms it's a bit like quoting a car's top speed based on it going down a steep hill with the wind behind it i.e. it's not a fair indication of its performance Most respected subwoofer manufacturers use +/-3dB.

I'm sorry if this insults Yamaha sub owners - it's not meant to and I'm pleased that you're happy with your subwoofers, it's just that there are better subwoofers available - the Velodyne CT10 is in a different league and, if you can pick one up for £325 (as quoted on the Power Buys forum) then this would be a great buy and not much more than the price of a Yamaha SW320.

Matt.

7. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't forget the paradigm pdr10 and ps1000 at good old richer sounds-these two subs are excellent value and wont be available much longer.

8. Belly

Belly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Tan1415 first said, Contrasting views!!!

9. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your info...

i went to a store and told the guy what my setup was..and which Subwoofer i was interested in.

His reply was....buy none of the above.
    Instead save up and buy a 'real' subwoofer...in the price range/quality of a REL q150.
    The other subs are good, but if you really want bass that makes a difference to my system..you better pay more.
    Otherwise you won't be satisfied and you'll end up exchanging it later on.
    In fact he literally said..buy a good sub or not one at all.

Pretty strange advice...for someone who sells this stuff.
    Is this just a case of reverse psychology or is his advice for real?
    He also has a setup based on Kefs(q35) and uses the REL strata.

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy is correct to a point but, as a salesman, is also engaging in the classic art of 'up-selling'.

He knows from what you've described of your situation/requirements that it's highly unlikely that you'd be so disappointed with a £150/£200 sub that you'd run out and spend £400 on another one so he's attempting to convince you to skip the first step altogether and just spend £400 instead of £200.

A friend of mine just bought a Tannoy Msub10 for £160 from www.petertyson.co.uk and absolutely loves it. I went round to help him set it up and it's really very good for what he needs (just movie stuff rather than music).

With any purchase or any product there's a theory that you should buy the best you can afford, as usually this will result in a better product and a happier customer.

However, in reality we all have wildly differing calls on our finances and perspective inevitably applies to most buys. Also, my mate's room is quite small and as a modern terrace house owner there'd be simply no point him investing £400 or so in a floorshaking demon sub.

Think about what you REALLY need and how much you're prepared to pay to achieve 80-90% of those goals - nothing will ever be perfect, no matter how much you spend.

11. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well like everyone else I guess..I am trying to get the biggest bang for the buck.

The subwoofer will be used for movies..i rarely use this system for music.
    So musicality is not a must..With my big frontspeakers(kef q50) the sub must go down to at least 30 hz.With action movies i must really 'feel' the sub and it must make a big difference for my system.
    So knowing this..which sub will suit me? Should i buy a 400 quid sub or is one of the above mentioned sub good enough.

Thanks.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This theme is also running on another current thread and my answer there is that in my opinion it is better to have no sub at all rather than a poor one and for a decent one you are talking a minimum of £400 new or £200 second hand.

Most cheaper subs won't go low enough to "make the difference" that you want and those that do are woolly and won't keep up with the main speakers.

For a good sub at a bargain price have a look at the Velodyne CHT10 being offered in the power buy forum as you won't be disappointed with that.

13. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kef Model 30B - £180 at Hyperfi.
    AE Aegis sub - £200, same place.

Those would be two possibles for a start.

I'm sure the Velodyne model you mentioned is very good (never heard it personally though, but Velodyne do have a good reputation), however, at £325, if you only have £400 for the whole set, then it's a bit academic IMO.

I've no argument that more expensive subs may be better, there's be something amiss if they weren't, but it's like saying that £400+ main speakers are better than £200 ones, so the £200 ones must be crap. I suppose we all have our own viewpoint, but for me, "not as good" doesn't equal crap (well OK, occasionally it does :) )

I'm sure there are many people on these forums who have cheaper subs and are perfectly happy with them, especially if they only use them for movies and TV watching etc, and at the end of the day, not everyone has deep pockets!