Need help with Audioengine A5's sound problems

Justanothergeordie

Novice Member
Hi –

I've had some AudioEngine A5 powered speakers for years. They work fine when plugged into a separate CD player. For years I've connected them using Bluetooth to my iPhone through a Logitech Bluetooth adapter so I can play music using Spotify.

Recently I noticed they sounded a little flat and tinny and the volume wouldn't go higher when I turned the physical volume knob up. I tried Spotify settings, it wasn't that. I tried different cables, not that. So I assumed it must be the Logitech. I have an Amazon Echo Flex plug, so I tried plugging that in but the sound is still a little flat and tinny. Again, plugging into a CD player and everything is working fine. So I'm not sure why it's not amplifying properly if everything is working. Do I need a DAC? I've no idea how they work and whether I need one. Also, I'm mystified as to why the Logitech would work for so long without any DAC or pre-amp connected and now none of them work?

Any help really appreciated, thanks.

camcroft

I have the same speakers and I have a Crystal bludac receiver but I don't think that you can get them anymore and mine works perfectly it is a bluetooth receiverdac all in one with apt x maybe you should try another receiver it could possibly make a difference with a receiver that has more features like apt x or Ldac or the likes

Justanothergeordie

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply. I'll be perfectly honest here, I'd like to use these speakers now just to connect to Alexa and play music. I just bought the Echo Flex for this and imagined that if I plugged the 3.5mm output from the Flex into the 3.5mm input on the Audioengines, everything would be fine. It works but it's just not amplified enough and I can't fathom why.

camcroft

I see the Flex doesn't have a volume control. this is what Google says
Those are essentially the same controls you'll find on the Echo Dot, with a notable exception: there aren't any volume controls, which means you'll need to ask Alexa or fiddle with the Alexa app to adjust the Flex's volume. ... and you should have the flex on max and adjust the master volume on the speaker volume dial. Hope this helps. I will be watching

camcroft

My streaming method is Echo Dot paired with Bluetooth receiver through Alexa app and the only wires that I have are from the receiver to the back of the speakers with a 3.5mm plug one end to 2 RCA plugs ( Red & White ) into the back of the speakers

Justanothergeordie

Novice Member
I tried the Flex at max volume, then Spotify at max and also the speakers at max. Can barely hear anything up until about half way, then at max volume it's got the volume of an Echo Dot. Swap everything out for the CD player with 3.5mm from the speakers to 2 RCA to the CD player and it's booming as it should be. Just can't work out what's missing from this Flex / Logitech setup

camcroft

The Flex is not really for that purpose here is a review from Amazon
4.0 out of 5 stars Poor Sound Quality
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 19 November 2019
Style Name: Echo FlexVerified Purchase
The smart side of this device is excellent, but as for the use of a music device, it is very poor.
I recorded both devices at full volume, 4K and 60FPS.

camcroft

I would take the Flex out of the equation have you got a dot if so you can use it as I said above

camcroft

Justanothergeordie

Novice Member
I just tried it and it was exactly the same. Music is coming out of the speaker without the amp but the speaker with the amp and all the connections/power is very quiet. However, when I connect the CD player, both speakers are fine... a process of elimination I suppose!

camcroft

which speaker can you show pictures of how you have it connected. You can add pictures in the the icon above

Justanothergeordie

Novice Member
You won't believe it, or actually you may.... I didn't realise there were 2 x 3.5mm line in's on the AudioEngines. I've always used the one on the top, next to the USB socket because that's where the Logitech sits. I tried the Flex again but this time noticed the 3.5mm on the rear underneath the RCA's and lo and behold it's pumping sound out again. So it must be the 3.5mm on the top is either damaged or is lacking something. So I also think that's also answered any queries about the Echo Flex now. I was just about to send it back but it's now working like a dream. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate the help forums like this give – priceless!

camcroft

Its my pleasure and welcome to the forum. Enjoy

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom