Need help with Allders price matching......pls

O

oreoboy13

I have just phoned Allders to make a prelimery enquiry about getting the 42W18b, i ask them if they could proce match another site as i have found it at just under £1500. They then told me that they would have to take into account whether the other site gives a 5 year Guarantee and their delivery scheme. Maybe i am wrong but i thought that if you advertised something as free, ( As Allders do with their Guarantee) are they allowed to use this not to price match? If anyone can help me by suggesting a good piece of the trading standards i can quote to them. Or if anyone has any general advice it would be great.

Well their website states free 5 year guarantee and also free delivery so if its free they should be left out of the equation when price matching, I can't give any advice but assumed the same as you.
Keep everyone posted anyway as now John Lewis have stopped Internet price matching everyone will try with Allders, Debenhams etc :)

The problem is that under the sale and supply of goods act no retailer is obliged to sell you anything even if you see they have the wrong price displayed. It is an offer to treat you to the goods at the price shown. You don't have to accept that price and can always barter for less. The only time they have to is when you have agreed the price, they then can't go back on it (and nor can you) afterwards. This agreement can be verbal but its hard to prove. I have manage to do it with an internet dvd supplier when they upped the price on a boxset. Since I had an email with the order details and price this is an agreed price in contact and they cannot change it afterwards even if it their computer system that automatically sends tem out. They gave in in the end but it took severals emails to win. Since then thay have put on the site (hidden in the T&C's page) that prices may fluctuate and hence can increase afterwards. This is the only loophole retailers can use but it must be on you contract beforehand to count.

What this means is that any shop can say they price match but can just say they are not willing to sell you the goods if they think the price is too low. A bit pants really but most do honour it as they don't want to go about losing too many customers especially in this current climate.

Allders like all the other do like for like price match and so there argument is that the package you are getting is the TV, the warranty and delivery for their all inclusive price. So they should match the same combined price from whatever place you are matching against. John-Lewis used to do this as well before they realised how cheap the internet could get!

I am a member of Which Onine and they have a very good article on this with links to trading standards website (www.tradingstandards.gov.uk) for anyone who is interested. It includes the fact that the retailers a legally responsible for goods for up to 6 years after you bought it. The best bit was that you do not need a reciept to take goods back altough you do have to prove in some way that you bought them from the place in question. Now there is a challenge - getting a free repair on a TV more than a year old and with no reciept!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom