Need Help with a new system configuration (noob)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by AlexDragan, Jun 12, 2015.

1. AlexDragan

AlexDragan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys. I'm pretty new to this field and don't know much about hi fi, the lingo and not even the basics.

I want to buy myself an audio system pretty soon for home use. The room I want to place it in is aprox. 5x3 meters in size. My budget goes up to $500 so it won't be anything fancy. I just want to be able to make a wise choice for what I can afford. I need to be able to hook it up to a laptop and maybe to the TV. Mostly I want to use it for music and I won't be using it on very high volume very often, so quality is a priority. I like my music loud, but not very loud most times. Design is not very important.

So please if you can help with advice, maybe some links, it would be much appreciated. I'm here for your questions also.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,309
    You can use a simply Analog Connection for the Computer, though a USB would be a bit better, but given you limited budget, just connect to the Audio Out or Headphone Jack of your Computer.

For your TV, that most likely mean an Optical Audio Output, though some TV has Coaxial, and others have Analog out. Analog simply means NOT digital.

Is that USA$500 or some other country that used Dollars, or could you simply not find the "£" sign?

In US Dollars, that is a very lean budget, and in Canadian Dollars an even leaner budget.

If you are in the USA, that is OK, we can still make some recommendations, but we need to know your location before we comment.

Next, can we assume you are talking about a Stereo system, since $500 is crazy lean, though not impossible, for a AV Surround System.

Next, you want music, that's fine, but how deeply into movies are you? The more important movies, with a Stereo, the larger your front speakers need to be.

For general movie watching any stereo, even with bookshelf, is massively better than the TV's built-in speakers.

Pushing well above your budget, but with all the features you need, and very good quality sound -

Yamaha AS301, 60w/ch, Integrated Amp with DAC ($349) -

Yamaha A-S301 Integrated Amp at Music Direct

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 - 5" Bookshelf Speakers on Close out ($299/pr) -

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 Bookshelf Speakers (Pr) at Music Direct

Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 - 6.5" bookshelf Speaker on Close out ($379/pr) -

Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 Bookshelf Speakers (Pr) at Music Direct

It is possible to go cheaper, but not while maintaining this high quality.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  3. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    A good sounding stereo system is possible at $500 but you'll need to sacrifice something; my suggestion sacrifices some flexibility. It will do everything you have asked for but the D1 DAC (Digital to Analogue converter) has only two digital inputs so no further sources (i.e. CD player etc) can be added without unplugging an existing source (i.e. the laptop or TV).

Check your TV has a digital optical output that can output a PCM stereo format signal (should be a choice in the TV menus). If so, the TV would plug into the optical S/PDIF socket and the laptop plugs into the USB socket of the D1. On thing it may be worth checking - the D1 has two inputs but they're not switchable so check with users (or Audioengine themselves) that having both inputs plugged in at the same time causes no audible problems.

Any other reputable DAC with the inputs you require (preferably switchable) and a volume control (makes things easier to use) would be suitable.

Amazon.com: Audioengine D1 24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter: Electronics

Amazon.com: JBL LSR305 (PAIR) Professional Studio Monitors: Musical Instruments

These speakers are gaining quite a reputation and work out a little under budget too! The matching JBL subwoofer could be added to this setup at a later date if you wished for more/deeper bass.

Amazon.com: JBL LSR305 5-inch Two-Way Powered Studio Monitors (PAIR) w/ 1 JBL LSR310S: Musical Instruments

4. AlexDragan

AlexDragan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you guys. I will take your input into account.

5. AlexDragan

AlexDragan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,309
    You quoted your price in DOLLARS, that implies you are not in the UK ... so where are you? We can tailor our responses to your location.

The link you used implies that you are in Romania ...????

Steve/bluewizard

7. AlexDragan

AlexDragan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I am in Romania. Sorry for not mentioning it before.

8. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,309
    The Q Acoustic do sound good, but the rated bass response is not great. If at all possible you want to get the Q Acoustic 3020. Even the Q Acoustic 3020 has limited bass response, though it can still sound good.

Whether these speakers are suitable, depends on your intended use. The speakers on my computer have response similar to the 3020, and they sound fine for how I use them. If you need a compact low cost system, then I suspect you will like this combination.

Steve/bluewizard