Need help with 55-in TV under $1300 budget

aryatv

Novice Member
Hi all,
Looking to get a new TV after my Panasonic ET55 started developing horizontal line (panel issue) after 9 yrs. I have narrowed it to the below -
1. Samsung QN85A QLED
2. Sony X90J XR55X90J
3. Samsung Q80T QLED QN55Q80TAFXZA 2020 model.

I am not a gamer but watch movies, shows and sports. Wide angle viewing is preferable and I usually darken the room while watching (so not too concerned about direct light on the screen). I have heard good reviews about the Sony X90J and Samsung Q80T (although it is from last year) and leaning towards the Sony due to Dolby vision. The TV will be hooked to AVR, so not worried about the TV's sound. Any suggestion? Or any new ones I should consider.

Thanks
Arya

Dodgexander

Good performance in darker conditions and wider viewing angles make the Q80T the best option.
The QN85A uses an IPS type panel, contrast is poor, blacks are bad.
The Sony X90J is using a VA panel like the Q80T, but no wide viewing angle filter, so you get about 20-30 degrees off center from the middle of the TV before the picture starts to degrade. For sport though, you may prefer Sony's motion.

aryatv

Novice Member
Thanks for the response. How does the Sony X950H (2020 model) compare to Q80T for wider viewing? They both are rated similar (below) :

aryatv

Novice Member
X950H seems to be using the older X1 ultimate processor vs the new XR, but I assume it is not a big drop off.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom