1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with 5.1 soundcard setup

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by smimon, Apr 10, 2005.

1. smimon

smimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, hope someone can help with this.

I've recently bought a 5.1 amplifier (Yamaha RX-V396RDS) and speakers off eBay. My motherboard has onboard 5.1 sound (Realtek ALC850). It has outputs for main, rear and subwoofer/centre, in the form of stereo mini jacks. I've connected all these outputs to the amplifier using mini jack to 2 phono leads.

I'm pretty new to all this so not sure if i've done something wrong. To start off with, I couldn't hear anything from the centre speaker or subwoofer until i enabled the 'LFE Crossover Frequency' option in my mixer software. Now the subwoofer works, but all that is coming out of the centre speaker is exactly the same as the subwoofer. In fact, when I run the speaker setup wizard that plays white noise through each speaker to test it, when it comes to test the centre and subwoofer channels both of them play the same thing.

Is this to do with the centre/subwoofer output being combined? Or am I just doing something else wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    You want to use digial out if possible, does your soundcard have a coax digital out, or more usually a spdif out?

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    See other souncard thread for answers.

PC Sound Card to 5.1 Amp - Help Please