1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help wit tower speakers and sub plz

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by weezz, Sep 5, 2005.

1. weezz

weezz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!!! everybody

I currently have a yamaha htr-5760 av receiver
    also just bought
    yamaha ns-125f tower speakers (look it up at yamaha site)
    yamaha ns-c125 center speaker (look it up at yamaha site)
    yamaha yst-sw315 subwoofer (look it up at yamaha site)
    i don't have the surrounds from the yamaha ns-m125 yet but i will get them soon
    I am currently using small satellite speakers from the SA-VE367T speaker package (that I've been had)
    i used the ypao to set everything up but it set my
    front speakers to large
    my center to small
    and the surrounds to small
    then it put my crossover on my subwoofer at 160hz then after that it put my sub volume to -9.5
    then my LFE/BASS OUT to SWFR

To me the sound isn't good quality it dosent seem like its using the sub at a normal level, but the sub is hearable but they made the volume too low i guess

My front tower speakers frequency response is 60hz-35khz
    and my center frequency response is 70hz-35khz
    and my surrounds frequency response is 100hz-27,000hz

i know this alot to answer but can somebody please help me with this whole thing, to make it sound better way better
    also i dont have a SPL METER or a test disc (probably the thx optimizer from the star wars movie) i've spend so much money as it is, so it seems that I have to do it by ear ya know.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Try setting it manually and start off with all speakers set to small and if you have a selection of crossovers within the amp speaker setting menu try them all set to 80Hz.

You want the bass management done by the amp and not by the sub so if the sub has the facility to switch off it's internal crossover (may be called a bypass) - switch it off. If it doesn't have this facility - keep the crossover as high as possible.

To set the sub's volume without an SPL meter, play the test tones until all volume on all five speakers sounds at the same level. When set like that, play some bassy music and if you can hear the subwoofer it is set to loud so reduce the volume to the sub slightly until you can't actually hear the sub as a discrete source

3. weezz

weezz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply!!!

so set my reciever crossover to 80hz???
    what about my surround speakers frequency response which is 100hz-27,000hz, wont it be a gap in the frequency or wont i be missing sound or something???

also you said
    You want the bass management done by the amp and not by the sub so if the sub has the facility to switch off it's internal crossover (may be called a bypass) - switch it off. If it doesn't have this facility - keep the crossover as high as possible.
    Are you telling me to turn my crossover on my subwoofer to high (bypass) or do you mean turn it down to 0hz???

also what do i turn my LFE/BASS OUT to???
    BOTH or SWFR

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    if you can't switch it off, turn the crossover switch on the sub as high as possible. eg 200Hz. If the crossover on the amp is set to 80Hz that means that the amp won't be sending signals over 80Hz to the subwoofer anyway.

The bass on the amp should be set to SWFR and not Both

These settings are given as guidelines only and will make a suitable starting off point for you to tweak your system as it may sound better with the crossover in the amp set to 100Hz or with the bass on the amp set to "Both"

5. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

I did set my amp to crossover @ 80 Hz, and bass on amp set to SWFR,

but I still get tons of frequency @ > 80Hz. I used an SPL meter and individual sinewaves to calibrate with a BFD.

Perhaps the crossover on my amp is not working properly?

Thanks

Alex

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The filters aren't brick wall and I would assume that some crossovers are better than others but you shouldn't be getting "tons" of frequency significantly higher than 80Hz

7. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting 80db at 120Hz

:(

Main speakers are off

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That doesn't seem right to me but perhaps one of the forum techies might chime in

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    80dB isn't necessarily a bad thing, how loud were you running the test tones?

It would be sensible to continue taking a few results (perhaps at 5Hz intervals) further up the frequency range to see where it does start to roll off. That way it would give a better idea of where to start.

Details like this generally don't make much difference and the adage about too much knowledge being dangerous can be very true in the subwoofer and hifi world. :)

10. weezz

weezz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is off subject for a second
    but the speakers im using
    the yamaha center speaker and front tower speakers are 6ohms
    but my small sony satellite speakers are 8ohms (which i use now for surrounds)

the question im trying to ask is
    is it bad that i mixed the ohms (even tho i can change the impedance on my yamaha reciever)
    will the speakers sound bad or not seamless
    i guess you all know what I'm trying to say???