1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help, What to buy 8mm or digital?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Shinobi, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Shinobi

Shinobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bet this question has been posted before, but I really do need this posting board opinoins. Thank you!
    I am going to buy a Camcorder "real" soon. In the future, I want to transfer movies to mpegs then convert them to recordable DVD disc's. Should I go with a "8mm" Camcorder and buy a video capture card to do transfers to my PC in the future? Or should I buy a Digital Camcorder with a built in USB connector now, because maybe video capture cards will be obsolete in the future? Any input would be great as well as models and brands. Thanks a lot!
    Shaolin Smith.

2. colinrbarrett

colinrbarrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The quickest route to capturing and editing digital video material for mastering (and/or archiving) to DVD is via FireWire where most PCs are concerned. Don't bother with USB - it's an interface that's fine for still images and plugging printers, scanners and such things into computers, but for full-motion video you won't have the transfer bandwidth and the largest window size you'll get of reasonable quality is 320x240 pixels - OK for CD and Web but no good for full-screen stuff.

If you have a lot of Video8 or Hi8 tapes that you'd like to capture, then buy a Digital-8 camcorder - that way you can upload analogue tapes (using the camcorder and the FireWire uplink) and still have a digital camcorder. Also, Hi8 tapes (which Digital-8 uses to record) are cheaper than DV but work the same way.

For more info, check out http://www.simplydv.co.uk.

- Colin