Need Help Upgrading USB 2.0 to 3.0? CONFUSED!

DanielWilko

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 570 and currently it has USB 2.0, I've bought a Xenta USB 3.0 2 Port PCI-Express Card and i know exactly how to connect it to the mother board but i have no idea how to plug the power into it? I've watched many videos and none expand on this part. I have no free Sata ports (i may do) but to be honest i cannot figure out how i could possibly connect the Card to the power, can anyone help by letting me know what i can buy to power the express card or what i can do? thank you :thumbsup:

It should work fine without connecting the power - it is only needed to support high current devices - you will need a spare molex (large white 4-pin) connection from the power supply to connect to the card.

ts

It should work fine without connecting the power - it is only needed to support high current devices - you will need a spare molex (large white 4-pin) connection from the power supply to connect to the card.

im going to be running a 1TB 3.0 External Hard Drive, will that work without connecting it?

i have none spare, i can see the Card will come with the 4 pins on it, what can i buy to connect into that and where do i then plug that into ?

and also if i buy what you are showing me in that image, where does that connect too? im 100% sure i dont have one in my computer :/

Is it a portable 2.5" 1TB drive? If so should work fine without connecting a power cable. Do you have any spare connectors coming from the power supply?

Is it a portable 2.5" 1TB drive? If so should work fine without connecting a power cable. Do you have any spare connectors coming from the power supply?

its not a portable one and i only see 2 spare SATA connectors but they are not long enough to reach where the port card will be.

ideally i need tosomething that can convert a sata to a Female Molex but everything i find seems to have the 4 pins?

alright ill pick up and extension and convert adapter and hope for the best! thanks very much or all the help! much appreciated!

I'd imagine the additional power connection for the 5A/1.5A draw for the battery charging feature of USB, if you want to use it for data transfer it's worth trying without the power connector as it may well work with just the 10W provided over the PCI-E 1x connection.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom