Need help upgrading receivers to 4k

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by mbrigh3, Nov 29, 2017.

1. mbrigh3

mbrigh3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everybody!

So I recently bought a Sony Xbr-850E UHD 4k 65" TV. I then learned that my Sony HTS-360 receiver doesn't not play well with 4k!

I am now forced to upgrade my unit because I cant get 5.1 Dolby digital and 4k throught he unit anymore. I am looking on upgrading to this receiver ( Sony 7.2 4k Av STRDH770);I am hoping my speakers and subwoofer will play nicely with it. The only concern is the subwoofer, if you look at the subwoofer head on the new receiver it is differant.

I am learning about receivers. I am decently educated with Tvs but not so much receivers. Ill be honest I didnt see myself upgrading on this unit nor did I think I needed to. I kind of forgot so majority of my money was in the TV so now I am budget buying a receiver. That being said 199 for the new sony unit isnt a bad price! Feel free to help or throw out some opinions.

Ill provide links below of the old/new receivers. PLEASE help!

OLD:
    Sony HTS-S360

NEW:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Channel-Theater-Receiver-STRDH770/dp/B01BV7SO8U

Key parks: I want to use my old 5.1 speakers on this new unit as well as my subwoofer!
    I also want my 4K tv to work through it lol. Freaking tech these days! moving faster then I can keep up!

2. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    I think you’re going to struggle to use your current sub with most amps as it is a passive sub, meaning it uses the receiver’s amplifier.

Most standalone receivers connect to an active sub which has its own amplifier built in.

This is why the connections are different.

In all honesty I would sell everything you have and start again with a matching amp/speaker setup.

3. mbrigh3

mbrigh3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your quick reply... okay lets say budget friendly. What would you suggest? I want this to sound good but I am on a solid budget as you can see. How do you feel about that receiver? im open to suggestions I do not think my system is worth much these days! I bought it when I graduated college 6 years ago so I am catching up!

If I kept the speakers and just replace the sub would that be an option? Or is it just easier to swap it out? Im all for learning