need help understanding

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by river123, Feb 27, 2013.

1. river123

river123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've just had an amp/receiver fitted into my lounge hooked up to ps3, apple tv, blu-ray, sky hd, and a plasma. I use an i-pad and i-phone and also the router has now moved into the lounge from upstairs where the pc is. All this av equipment has now been connected to the router with cat-5 cables. this set up as now given me sky on demand, internet radio channels, and can now mirror off from my i-pad and i-phone. When i turn off my pc upstairs i now realise my router is still on downstairs, so am i right in saying i'm still on wi-fi all day and night? If so is that not a good idea? Is it possible to have another router next to my pc to turn off as well as the wi-fi and just keep my downstairs router off until i wish to use any av equipment. So was it worth moving the router and having cat-5 cables fitted or have i been ripped off? Will downloads be quicker with less buffering this way?

2. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,504
    What you describe is fine and is a-typical for domestic internet connections and networks. The router is a low power device that will ensure that all your clients (skyboxes, ps3s etc) have connectivity whenever they need it whether that be wireless or wired. You want that freedom and option of connectivity 24/7 and your setup sounds ideal for that.

3. river123

river123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks hillskill, can you tell me how the different pieces of av equipment know to use the cable and not the wi-fi?

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,712
    It's up to the equipment designers to decide how they make the determination. There's no "rules" as such. A lot of equipment will favour the link with the highest bandwidth. Really clever stuff can use both simultaneously, but that tends to be in the realm of "PC" type devices (and even then, only with hackers that know what they are doing.)