1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help understanding digital sound connections

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by markyboy, Oct 28, 2004.

1. markyboy

markyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I WAS planning to get a 32" Sony tv with a Panasonic DVD recorder AND a Sony home cinema system with built in DVD player (this seemed cheaper than buying a spearate amplifier)...... but a reputable LOCAL high street tv/hifi shop told me yesterday that if I had this arrangement then I would only get digital sound from the built in player and NOT the tv or dvd recorder. Can someone explain to me why. I was of the opinion that you just "connetced them all up" (probably via Scart leads) and away I went.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    It all depends on the connections on the Sony all in one. If it has digital inputs then you can connect the Panny dvd recorder to it and get digital input. You wont get digital from the TV unless you have sky or freeview as TV's are still analogue. Scart are also only analogue connectors to.

How much where you going to pay for the Sony as if you are getting a Panny you dont need another dvd player:nono: For the money you might be able to get an amp and speakers thet out perform the sony by miles:D

3. markyboy

markyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, but it now sounds (further homework done !!) as though i'm better off getting a separate amp. Apparantly they will have more inputs. So i'm now looking at the Sony HT SL series (40, 60 or 500). I HAVE got sky (am upgradign to Sky+ soon) and so will get digital sound via the separate amp. I planned to pay around £170 for the amp and speakers (a deal with the Sony KV32CS70 at John Lewis or local Sony shop).