Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Need help - tricky situation, limited budget.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Pezerinno, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi, I need some help here. Ok here goes, I want the following:
    5.1 surround for movies
    5.1 surround for pc gaming
    Good stereo sound for music (of which will be player from the computer - AAC or someother files)

Needs to fit in a small space and my budget is £1250 - this has to also include a DVD player (was looking at the Denon 1910)

DVD player will be connected to my sharp 26" aquos TV via DVI
    I will be removing the sharp aquos speakers
    Music coming from pc via audigy 2 ZS soundcard and optical TOSlink cable, also want to use this for surround sound pc gaming.

I need small speakers (ones that will go on the desk) but have plenty of room for amps and whatknot.

My listening will probably be something like 50% music, 25% pc gaming, 25% TV/DVD.

I've enclosed a room plan so you can see what sort of space I'm dealing with - I'm in halls of residents so lacking space.

Can't order anything from creative-audio as they don't deliver to students halls of residents.

So what should I get?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the sources and size of your room, have you considered buying something like the Logitech Z-5500 + DVD player?

A 5.1 setup would sound horribly muddled in a room with that size and layout (I used to have a room about the same size and 2 channel was bad enough). Perhaps better to go for a Toshiba 340e & the Z-5500 setup (or whatever) and save the grand or so for when you've got a proper room and the tech.\money ratio is even better.

3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Funny you should say that as I was originally going to buy a toshiba 340e and logitech Z-5500 but then people started saying buy something better. Would the logitechs be ok for music & movies though?

4. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're playing ATRAC,MP3 & al you'll be more than happy.

I really wouldn't even dream of spending £1250 on a room that size and with the furniture positioning unless you wash your back with a bundle of £50 notes on a stick... :)

5. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I think i might still go for the Denon 1910 actually instead of the tosh as I have an expensive IXOS DVI cable and I don't believe the Toshiba takes DVI? Save me buying an expensive component cables.

EDIT: do you know the cheapest place to pick up the Logitech Z-5500?