Need help - Transferring VHS to PC to edit.

Erick

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a load of home videos on 8mm tapes and VHS tapes, but I want to edit them and put them onto DVDs. I have a Philips USB video converter that has a SVHS socket, L/R audio and video socket I simply connect it to my VCR and PC. When I use the software it only allows me to transfer it directly onto DVD without giving me a chance to edit it. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Is there a simpler way of doing it?

Thanks.

It doesn't actually do anything at the moment as it doesn't work, either that or I'm doing something wrong.

This is the box, the DVD drive has worked perfectly for simply burning discs -

Converter%205.jpg

Here is the converter -

Converter%204.jpg

This is the setup with my 8mm video camera, I tried the VCR and nothing happened -

Converter%203.jpg

When I connect it all up, the video camera connection shows the video on my monitor -

Converter%201.jpg

But when I press record this is displayed -

Converter%202.jpg

Anyone? The provided manual is rubbish.

You should have Windows Movie Maker as part of xp, it's free, might be worth giving that a try just to see if it is a software problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have Movie Maker, but I can't even get the video onto the PC in the first place. It will only allow me to transfer the video directly onto DVD.

Ok, sorry if this sounds stupid, but in Movie Maker you can change the settings as to where you want the movie to be stored, can you select a location on your hard drive for this? Maybe it is defaulting to your DVD drive, or maybe that software you are using only allows transfers straight to DVD??

deleted member said:
maybe that software you are using only allows transfers straight to DVD??
Yes that's exactly what it is doing, is there no way around this?

Is there any other way of getting 8mm (non DV) camcorder videos onto my PC for editing?

Thanks for the help.

Use different software? I am suprised Windows Movie Maker does not allow you to save it to the hard drive, there are plenty of other software out there that does allow it, but not sure if it is free. There is a camcorder forum, maybe worth asking in there?

Ah, it works now with Movie Maker, it captures the video! However because my video camera only has one audio-out socket (a white one) the sound is only coming out of the left side, when using the VCR it works perfectly. I hope I don't have to transfer all of the 8mm tapes onto VHS first, or do I?

Thanks for the help, I'm gradually getting there.

Does your camera record in stereo or mono?

If it does record in stereo you probably need a different lead that splits the audio out into left and right channels.

Glad you have made progress :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom