Need HELP TOTALLY Confuse Upgrade HDP to HDQ

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Puccainbkk, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Puccainbkk

Puccainbkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all From Thailand

I am going to upgrade my system and i get REALLY CONFUSED about to pay more with HDQ or just with HDP+SDI..
    my system
    1 Benq 7700 720p trade to Benq w10000 on the way ..
    2 HD dvd a1
    3 Panasonic BD player 10ak on the way
    4 pioneer 969avi + sdi
    5 my current 2 year old HDP without sdi ...at the moment
    6 denon 3805 trade to onkyo 803 for HDMI amp..think about 805 but after i read why dont you need HDMI 1.3 so i wait

i totally confuse PLEASE HLEP

1 Should i upgrade only HDP(at the moment i have not added sdi chipset yet )+ SDI chipset which i will pay ONLY half price to trade to get brand new HDQ
    2 Is it worth to pay for HDQ replace HDP+sdi ?? i know that HDQ looks sexier than my HDP....and i really dont care about look but i concern about PQ much more than looking on my system, WILL I SEE ANY PQ IMPROVE IF I UPGRADE FROM HDP TO HDQ BASE ON MY SYSTEM ???

3 DOES My 2 years old HDP have Per-pixel motion adaptive HD (newly added) and SD deinterlacing ?? i totally confuse

4 Which is the best way to connect all together ?
    i got suggest from my dealer.. the best option is #1

option 1
    HD BD players HDMI 1080i > onkyo 803( accept only 1080i/60hz) passed through (i think the dropsynce of PQ somewhere) >> lumagen upscale to 1080p/60 > benq w10000
    Sd dvd +sdi to HDP+SDI (i have to add sdi chipset and i play half to trade to get HDQ)

or Option 2 i have to extra $3-400 for splitter and HDMI cable
    HD DVD + 1x2 HDMI splitter and one run to Lumagen the other runs to Onkyo 803
    BD Player + 1x2 HDMI splitter and one run to Lumagen the other runs to Onkyo 803

please help and i am sorry with my poor English writting

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    The HDP and HDQ have the same firmware so if you use the latest firmware then you will have exactly the same de-interlacing and scaling performance.

Option 1 sounds best to me as well.

SDI board is no longer available in Europe. I do not know whether your dealer has stock or if Lumagen USA still make the part for non-european markets.

The next step up on scaler front for you is not HDQ.....it is RadianceXD ;)

3. Puccainbkk

Puccainbkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thx Gordon
    this is really kind and helpful of you I think if they dont have SDI chipset i can live with sd dvd HDMI> Lumagen :) but i think he got one for me :D
    thank you again

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
  5. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Gordon,

why is the SDI board not available anymore in Europe? Has the price of an HDQ decreased as a consequence of that and by how much? Is that a sign that Lumagen is going to make the HDQ to evolve in order to adopt HDMI inputs instead of DVI (even if that is not necessary since the HDQ is not able to deal with sound)?

Thank and regards. Lenny

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    The HDP Pro, SDI board and BNC boards were all discontinued in Europe last July06 when the RoHS laws came in to force. It was deemed uneconomic by Lumagen to redesign these products and build them with RoHS parts.

I cannot speak for rest of Europe but in UK the price of HDQ has only come down, never gone up.

Gordon

7. Puccainbkk

Puccainbkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Dear, Sir

thank you for you reply Mr. Gordon i just set up my system and i am very very happy with the PQ of 1080p via Lumagen

Anyway i got very very good deal nearly replace HDP to HDQ so i did coz i need analoge output sending to my PDP 42" as so ..

after we did test that i really suspect about HDMI via 803 :(:(
    it is sad but true
    HD DVD a1 HDMI 1080i > onkyo 803 pass by untouched > lumagen upscale 1080p > w10000 + 92" VS HD DVD a1 HDMI 1080i >lumagen upscale 1080p > w10000 + 92" i use analog 5.1 to Onkyo 803

the PQ is dropsync when pass Onkyo 803 but it is really hard to be noticeable
    the sharpess is the same but image, dimesion and color is slight drop down but you still can notice it.. but the sound Q pass HDMI TO 803 is really impress but i go with PQ for the frist priority so i get the direct connect to Lumagen ... that i can say by now i would like to take the picture to prove this but i dont know and not good about taking photo :( i am sorry

Also why should i wait so long to get SDI on my system it is cytral clear than HDMI to Lumagen also the electric in thailand is not good so the ISF guy they modify some "SDI Enhancer" before connect to HDQ this is really rich colour on sd dvd movies ..
    i would like to say thank you again i still love the system and now my husband could not get the panasonic 10ak i have to wait after he returns from his duty on the cruise ship at the time maybe i will try to get the next G of BD and HD dvd coz i wonder how better of 1080p/24fps on my screen..

thank you ..

Attached Files: